Hatching Brine Shrimp Etc

ccskitten

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hiya

I've just set up my first fry tank. I'd like to feed them some live food. I've seen brine shrimp at the LFS but have read on here that fry need newly hatched brine shrimp. I don't know where to start!!! Do I buy the hatched stuff and breed them? Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Also what is the difference between brine shrimp and daphnia?

Thank you :D

Hiya

I've just set up my first fry tank. I'd like to feed them some live food. I've seen brine shrimp at the LFS but have read on here that fry need newly hatched brine shrimp. I don't know where to start!!! Do I buy the hatched stuff and breed them? Can someone point me in the right direction please?

Also what is the difference between brine shrimp and daphnia?

Thank you :D

Daphnia live in fresh water and will be breeding in a pond or ditch near you. Rather than collect them yourself, it may be best to buy them from your LFS once a week. They are great for all fish, and fry with a mouth large enough to cope with them.

Brine shrimp live and breed in salt water. The way to go with them is to buy a tub of dry eggs [they keep for years in the dry state]. Add a small spoonful to some marine water, aerate vigorously with an airstone. They will hatch within 24 hours. When hatched, scoop off and discard the egg cases, and feed to your tiny fry.

If you want to try raising your own daphnia, I find it easy. I got a sample from another aquarist and put them in a 10 gallon tank. I feed them a blend that is mostly equal parts of brewer's yeast and soybean flour. The tank I have them in has a simple air stone going to circulate the water. I do partial water changes on it using fish tank water because the daphnia can be very sensitive to the metals in tap water. That one tank yields enough adult daphnia to give most of my other tanks a treat about once a week.
Daphnia.jpg

Most reactions

Back