Has My Oranda Got White Spot?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

firefighter1588

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ive had my new oranda about 2 days but today i noticed he has lots of white spots on his tail and fins they must have been there all the time i just hadnt noticed. they are almost like freckles, is this white spot or just colouring?? :crazy:

Can you get a pic? White spot is common in newly bought fish as they are stressed from the move. Have you got him quarantined?

Thanks for the compliment, always nice to get one lol.

I wouldnt move him out as you will need to treat the whole tank.
One method is to increase aeration and up the temperature to 82c and that will kill them off but you need to keep the heat for 6 days after the last spot has gone. Gravel vac daily

Another way is using salt. If you have loaches or plecs move them out. Add 1 teaspoon of salt for each gallon to bring you to .1%. 12 hours later do the same again to bring you to .2%. 12 hours later do the same so the tank is now at .3%.
Every day, gravel vac 50% of the water as the little beggars fall off the fish and reproduce in the gravel throwing out loads more babies. Remember how much water you take out and then calculate back the salt you need. So say you have a 20 gallon and you take out 10. You then put back 30 teaspoons of salt. To dissolve it take some boiled water from a kettle and dissolve that way and add some cool water before adding to the tank.
If you are filling the tank due to condensation then dont add salt.
Keep this for two weeks even when the spots seem gone.
If you have live plants then take them out and if the fish are less than 2 inches in body length then dont use salt.

Another is to use commercially available meds for ich. Follow the instructions and follow to the last dose. Keep the over head light off and take out loaches and plecs. Dont mix salt with ich meds. Add extra aeration and raise the temperature as well.

thanks black angel, i have 2 baby plecs and a very small black moore (1 inch long) so sounds like salt isnt a very good idea for my main tank, last night i ordered some white spot treatment, so that should be here soon. I still have him in the hospital tank because i dont want the whie spots to drop off in to my main tank. he seems quite happy. he is around 3 inches long, do you think its best to use the salt method or wait for the meds to arrive? you say that the ich bacteria reproduces in the gravel, is it a good idea to take the gravel out of my hospital tank?? :unsure: thanks for taking the time to help me out :good:

Brad

For the main tank up the temperature to 82c and add extra air, that should be fine for that tank, but keep a watch for any spots.
Ich is a parasite and once the adult falls to the bottom it opens up gicing out hundreds of baby ick called trophents.
I wouldnt take the gravel out, just use the vac each day to clean it.
For the fish in isolation i would use the salt first and see how that goes first.

For the main tank up the temperature to 82c and add extra air, that should be fine for that tank, but keep a watch for any spots.
Ich is a parasite and once the adult falls to the bottom it opens up gicing out hundreds of baby ick called trophents.
I wouldnt take the gravel out, just use the vac each day to clean it.
For the fish in isolation i would use the salt first and see how that goes first.

ok then will try salt, what type though? just table salt?? :unsure:

I wouldnt use table salt. you can use aquarium, pickling or rock salt. If you go to the pet shop or anywhewre that do pond supplies you can get big bags of it cheaply.

Most reactions

Back