Has anyone here had a fish survive dropsy?

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have heard survival is extremely unlikely once pineconing occurs. Despite this there are many remedies, treatments, antibiotics and routines around that claim to help. Have any of you personally had a success story? If so, what did you do that helped?

Nope. I've lost 3 bettas to dropsy

No, I have not.

Lost my first one to dropsy and lost my second one to dropsy. Of course, my second one fought for 3 months before he passed.

No, I have not.

Lost my first one to dropsy and lost my second one to dropsy. Of course, my second one fought for 3 months before he passed.
What treatments did you try for those 3 months that you feel helped? Do you think it increased his suffering?

What treatments did you try for those 3 months that you feel helped? Do you think it increased his suffering?
Honestly, I wish I would have put him down when he first got it, I just couldst bring myself to do it.

He suffered way to much, and its my fault.

Honestly, I wish I would have put him down when he first got it, I just couldst bring myself to do it.

Aah this is what I’m afraid of. My fish still swims and eats and greets me at the glass, I don’t know how long it will go on. I am yet to find an example of a happy ending to the situation.

Aah this is what I’m afraid of. My fish still swims and eats and greets me at the glass, I don’t know how long it will go on. I am yet to find an example of a happy ending to the situation.
I'm sorry... :(

The problem with dropsy and internal infections is they have already done significant damage to the organs by the time the fish swells up. Once the fish has massive organ damage, it is pretty much dead.

If you can treat it with anti-biotics as soon as it has internal problems, you might be able to save them. However, you don't normally know when it is sick because they are fine one day and bloated the next. Once they bloat up, that's it.

The problem with dropsy and internal infections is they have already done significant damage to the organs by the time the fish swells up. Once the fish has massive organ damage, it is pretty much dead.

If you can treat it with anti-biotics as soon as it has internal problems, you might be able to save them. However, you don't normally know when it is sick because they are fine one day and bloated the next. Once they bloat up, that's it.
It’s like my angelfish thats have an internal infection, one day he just float on the water with fins bitten by tinfoil barbs

by the time you’re trying to save their life and know that they have dropsy; it’s too late.

Actually I dont know if it’s really your fault cause I have never euthanized the fish before, even though my fish suffered for a week...I just can’t do it, I don’t know why...I just let nature do it’s own thing..I guess :(

sometimes I‘m still feeling like they still have hope but nah.

RIP poor googly fish. She didn’t survive the night so I didn’t have time to make any decisions about treatment and euthanasia. Yesterday she could jump out of the water to take food from my hand.... at least it was fairly quick.

Actually I dont know if it’s really your fault cause I have never euthanized the fish before, even though my fish suffered for a week...I just can’t do it, I don’t know why...I just let nature do it’s own thing..I guess :(

sometimes I‘m still feeling like they still have hope but nah.
You can chop up and skin an animal for taxidermy but you can't kill a fish, you're weird :)

You can chop up and skin an animal for taxidermy but you can't kill a fish, you're weird :)
The taxidermy animal is probably already dead... i wonder if you can taxidermy a fish

Most reactions

Back