Harlequins Hovering in the same spot?

maritzsa

Reaction score
Hey just a quick question about my Harlequins: This is the first time they started doing this. They just group and hover in this same spot for hours. Water parameters are optimal (Ammonia , Nitrite 0, Some Nitrate, temp is 80F and ph is 7.4 - same as tap, did not want to chemically alter water) Tank is planted 10gal, 6 rasboras and one male betta. Didnt want to add more rasboras in fear of overcrowding.

Is this behavior a normal thing or should I be worried? I attached an image

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 175
Picture of the whole tank?
Video of the fish?

They look stressed out and appear to be hiding under some floating plants.
Does this happen first thing in the morning, during the day or at night?
If it's in the morning, it's probably stress from the tank light.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to help the fish feel more secure.

Picture of the whole tank?
Video of the fish?

They look stressed out and appear to be hiding under some floating plants.
Does this happen first thing in the morning, during the day or at night?
If it's in the morning, it's probably stress from the tank light.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to help the fish feel more secure.
Here ill attach a whole pic of the tank (sorry for bad lighting. They seem to do this in the evening mostly. So like 5-7pm. Maybe their group is too small? Could I add 3 more HRs to make a 9 member group + the betta would that be too much fish for a 10gal. Tank is fully cycled and I have never seen ammonia go up ever since the fish got in so it cycles instantaneously.

Video of the little guys

Attachments

• 8605AB30-7550-4051-9B97-966A5DCAE4B5.jpeg
    8605AB30-7550-4051-9B97-966A5DCAE4B5.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 96
My Harliquen’s do this when their tank is due for a water change. When was the last time you performed a water change?

My Harliquen’s do this when their tank is due for a water change. When was the last time you performed a water change?
it was 5 days ago i do around 10-15% every 7 days even tho nothing really builds up in terms of Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate but I clean up the gravel.

You should be doing 40 to 60% water changes. Also the betta would be best in his own tank sized at at least 5 gallons.

You should be doing 40 to 60% water changes. Also the betta would be best in his own tank sized at at least 5 gallons.
40 to 60 ? really okay. The betta and rasboras shoal together and he is never bothered by them. The rasboras also follow the betta around since he is always hunting for blackworms around and under stuff. In terms of relationship the two parties act mutual but maybe im missing something.

it was 5 days ago i do around 10-15% every 7 days even tho nothing really builds up in terms of Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate but I clean up the gravel.
When as the last time you actually tested the water?

Make sure you shake the test bottles thoroughly before adding drops to the test tubes.

Also, I recommend not adding any more fish...I consider your tank fully stocked especially with the beta in there as well.

Also, I recommend not adding any more fish...I consider your tank fully stocked especially with the beta in there as well.
Yeah I thought so thank you for all the feedback and advice, If I see anything off about the HRs I guess I will reply or make a new thread !

Harliquen Rasbora's need a 15g tank as a minimum. I recommend you separate the Betta and the HQ's. Keep the Bettas in the 10g and get a 20g long for the HQ's.

Most reactions

Back