Harlequin Rasbora School Size

mbpted

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm looking to add some more color to my 30 gal tank.

I currently have:

12 Blue Neon Tetras,
7 Rummy Nose Tetras,
1 Bristle Nose Pleco.

I think I have room for another 7 small fish before I get to the point where I'm over stocked.

I've read that the Harlequin Rasbora is a peaceful fish that will get along well with the Tetras. However, I've read that they like to be in a school with at least 8-10 others. Is 7 enough to keep them happy?

Thanks.

More is always better, and honestly, going with 9 versus 7 (I prefer odd numbers for the tank, just looks better, though it might just be in my head) isn't a big deal in terms of the bioload.   Just bump up your water changes a bit in volume.  

If you are worried about the bioload, go for Trigonostigma espei or T. hengeli instead of the T. heteromorpha (harlequin rasboras) - they are a little smaller than the harlys. 

For comparison purposes:
http://seriouslyfish.com/species/Trigonostigma-espei/
http://seriouslyfish.com/species/Trigonostigma-hengeli/
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/Trigonostigma-heteromorpha/

The harlys are just much easier to source. 

I have 10 in my 35 gal tall. They are fairly small so won't add too much to the bioload. They look great as they school well together. My stocking is in my sig.

I currently have either 6 or 7 midnight rasboras (lost a couple lately so I'm not certain) and I've just got 10 more to add to the school. The new 10 are in my fry tank as they are too small to go in with the adults just yet (I have a pair of angelfish) and the 10 school really well. There's some info about them here http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/440389-thinking-about/   there's quite a bit of waffle but there's some photo's and a video of my new one's somewhere around page 3 or 4

I agree with getting a few more rather than fewer.  When it comes to shoaling fish,meaning fish that need a group, having too few actually has a greater impact on the bioload than will having more, up to a point of course, because with too few the fish are constantly under stress and thus impacting things biologically.

I would increase your rummynose as well; this is a tetra that always does better with more, and I would never go below 9 or 10.  Like JD I too always aim for odd numbers, for no reason other than visual to me; there are some fish where odd/even might be an issue, but not here.

Then, after upping the rummys, a group of 7 Harlequin would be my minimum, but if you get either of the two closely-related (and very similar in appearance) species that JD mentioned, more.  Both of these are best with 9 minimum, much like the rummys.  I personally like the "copper" ones, Trigonostigma hengeli, as they are more colourful with that almost luminescent copper axe-shaped marking.

This should not even come near overloading a 30g, though the length is not indicated and that does have a bearing.  Plants also help, not only by their water filtration capability, but by providing the sort of environment these fish prefer.  Floating plants especially.

Byron.

Byron said:
This should not even come near overloading a 30g, though the length is not indicated and that does have a bearing.  Plants also help, not only by their water filtration capability, but by providing the sort of environment these fish prefer.  Floating plants especially.

A bit more information: The tank is 30W x 19H x 12D in. I have about a couple inches of sand for the substrate, several medium sized river rocks and plastic plants for decoration, and one Echinodorus bleheri (I think it's referred to as Amazon Sword) live plant.

I'm not sure about the health of the plant, the larger leaves are getting brown and transparent around the ends. (my first live plant: maybe a question for a different thread) I'll do some research on floating plants as well.

I was being cautious about adding too many fish, but based on the responses, I may be okay as long as I keep my eyes on the water quality and make sure my water changes are regular.

I'll have to see what the LFS has in stock, but I found one fairly close that has a very large variety with what seems like a knowledgeable fish guy. 

Thanks everyone for the advice.

We can look into the plant issues if you provide data on the light (type, watts, spectrum, etc), and are you using any fertilizers or plant additives, and if yes, which and how much.

Floating plants are the easiest to maintain because they have the aerial advantage, meaning that the floating leaves are able to take up CO2 from the air which is about four times faster than from the water, and obviously there is an abundance of CO2 in the air but may not be in the water.  Plus the closeness to the light means that is not usually an issue, though we still need to know the specs.  A comprehensive liquid fertilizer may be required, but that is easy to handle.

The advantages of floating plants are that being fast-growing, they use a lot of nutrients which means a lot of water filtration occurring.  They are almost ammonia sinks, they take up so much relatively speaking.  But they also provide a cover, and all of these forest fish appreciate this as it is natural.  Most forest fish occur in heavily-shaded waters, provided by overhanging terrestrial vegetation in most cases but floating plants fill this requirement nicely, and have the filtration benefit too.  Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, and Frogbit are good floaters.  I would personally avoid the smaller floating plants like duckweed and Salvinia, though the latter is a lovely little plant.  Some stem plants grow very well left floating; pennywort is ideal for this, I use it in a couple of my Amazonian tanks.

Just as a comparison, I have a 29g (with these tank dimensions) as one of my 7 tanks in my fish room, and currently it holds around 60 fish.  Now, they are all small, and all have identical requirements respecting water parameters, lighting, environment (aquascaping), water current, etc.  And this is the crux of the matter...have completely compatible fish.  As I mentioned previously, providing what the fish require will actually lessen their impact on the tank's biological system because they are not "fighting" issues.  "Compatibility" involves fish behaviours of course, but it goes much farther than that.

Byron.

I have 8 harlequins and they are peaceful, happy little fish :)

luca1980 said:
I have 8 harlequins and they are peaceful, happy little fish
smile.png

I added 9 to my tank, and am very pleased.

mbpted said:

I have 8 harlequins and they are peaceful, happy little fish
smile.png

I added 9 to my tank, and am very pleased.

Yup... great little fish.

Most reactions

Back