Hardware placement

fishme2death

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've gone back and read prior posts to find some answers to questions that I have always had. I couldnt find those answers or maybe I missed them somewhere. I realize there are many variables that may or may not change the answers. (i.e. size of the tank, type of filter, planted tank, etc)

1. What is the correct way to place the output in input of your cannister filter?? B)

2. What criteria to do use to say this is a good method of placement??? :look:

3. How deep do you place each piece??? 8)

The second issue is on lighting. Doing research on this just confuses me. To keep the costs down, shop light flourescents is my way to go. The delimma is what type of bulb to use. We have cool white, cool white deluxe, soft white and they go on and on. There are also plant lights available that dont have "aqaurium use" on them which I think makes them cheaper. I presently have replaced the bulbs in my 48" light fixture and found my tank looks red from a cool white deluxe bulb. I am afraid of getting algae in my tank with this red pigment since prior to replacing the bulbs I had zero algae. Should I be concerned??? And what is the recommendation??

FM2D, You have the 55gal right? I have tried numerous combinations for the intake and returns. From one on each side, to both in the center. The important thing is to make sure you don't have any dead spots in the water. A small powerhead in one rear corner to oppose the return from the other corner works real well.

As far as lighting, you are ruight. It can give you a headache! Try the phillips bulbs you can buy at Home Depot for about 5 dollars. They are 6500K bulbs and are very bright. These are what I have used in my tank.

:eek: I swear you must have read my mind :D I made this post as I think I do have a dead spot. Wouldnt you know that is where all the fish hang out and does get the dirtiest. So I am off to get a small powerhead to fix that problem.

I heard on the radio there was a sale on light bulbs at Home Depot, so I was there buying them before I read you post :rolleyes: :p

Thank you for your post. It said all the necessary things that I needed to get a grasp on what the idea of all this hardware placements are. :)

Most reactions

Back