Hard water fish

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishyyyy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi I’ve got a 64 litre tank with currently 4 male guppies and 3 peppered corys. Not currently looking at adding anymore fish mainly because I’m not sure if im already fully stocked. However I have hard water and I just wanted some suggestions of fish that can live in hard water and would be good for this size tank.

Thank you

Hi I’ve got a 64 litre tank with currently 4 male guppies and 3 peppered corys. Not currently looking at adding anymore fish mainly because I’m not sure if im already fully stocked. However I have hard water and I just wanted some suggestions of fish that can live in hard water and would be good for this size tank.

Thank you
what is your hardness in ppm and ph

other livebearers(may need bigger tank)

what is your hardness in ppm and ph

other livebearers(may need bigger tank)
Water hardness is 309.25 ppm and the pH is between 6.8 and 7.2. Sorry it’s a range and not an exact number. My testing kit isn’t great, trying to get another one.

Perhaps a smaller species of rainbow fish? I know some only get about 2 inches, they like groups though, with more females than males. Corydoras also like to be in groups of 6 or more.

Thank for the replies, I know live bearers are probably the best option. I was thinking platies, however I wouldn’t want the issue of fry and I don’t know if all males would fight

Yes, all male Platies will fight and some can be quite aggressive.
I don't have good experience with them.

Sorry, I made a mistake. Swordtail is more aggressive, and not the Platies. I mixed up the two.

By the way, choose carefully when you buy the Endlers or Guppies.
For Endlers, choose those with many colours and only those you like.
For Guppies, I usually don't choose those with large tail as they are easy nipped by other fish and sometimes get killed.

You can also consider Pseudomugil Furcatus.

Sorry, I made a mistake. Swordtail is more aggressive, and not the Platies. I mixed up the two.

By the way, choose carefully when you buy the Endlers or Guppies.
For Endlers, choose those with many colours and only those you like.
For Guppies, I usually don't choose those with large tail as they are easy nipped by other fish and sometimes get killed.

You can also consider Pseudomugil Furcatus.

Okay thank you, I’ll have a look at those, and I’ll have a little look into platies and see if all males would be okay for those.

I wouldn't be afraid of Platies or Swordtails - a trio would be nice and raising fry is fun, even if some become live food or you give away to your LFS (or get a buck a piece (or store credit)).

I wouldn't be afraid of Platies or Swordtails - a trio would be nice and raising fry is fun, even if some become live food or you give away to your LFS (or get a buck a piece (or store credit)).
What about just a trio of male platies, I’ve seen mixed reviews in this. Really just don’t want the hassle of fry and I don’t know anywhere that would take them

What about just a trio of male platies, I’ve seen mixed reviews in this. Really just don’t want the hassle of fry and I don’t know anywhere that would take them
just a note, my pair of swordtails are never agressive, they just like to hang around and dash when i am near.

Okay thank you, I’ll have a look at those, and I’ll have a little look into platies and see if all males would be okay for those.
I would not recommend an all male for ANY livebearer. They are incredibly aggressive. I recommend, always, to do a male to female ratio (1m:3f). Fry are easy to get rid of, LFS will take them, you can just let them be eaten, you can sell them, etc.

Females are sometimes more aggressive, however I have only experienced this with female mollies. I have observed female platys to be pretty chill. So that is up to you. But you will probably get fry either way since all male tanks rarely work.

Again- my personal recommendation is 1 male to every 3 females.

Petco, Petsmart, local pet stores will take em. Facebook marketplace is a good place to sell them as well.

Most reactions

Back