Hard or soft water

You will have no trouble keeping most freshwater tropical fish, try and stay away from rainbows and live bearers.
Ok, I have a guppy and 3 platys which are live bearers I understand. I wonder how they are

Ok, I have a guppy and 3 platys which are live bearers I understand. I wonder how they are
Try to find some lime chip. Go to a garden center or quarry you only need a hand full that will help to harden your water and stabilize the pH. It should cost you next to nothing, I bought 20 kgs for $5, and most of that was a donation.

Have been trying to find out whether my water from the tap is hard or soft. I think it's hard but I'm not sure how I can find out for sure. Would anyone know how to find out?
API sells a test kit, but may be easier to view municipality info.

Try to find some lime chip. Go to a garden center or quarry you only need a hand full that will help to harden your water and stabilize the pH. It should cost you next to nothing, I bought 20 kgs for $5, and most of that was a donation.
If I use lime chip will that lower the pH which will harden the water? Does soft water have high pH (or am I on the wrong track totally)?

If I use lime chip will that lower the pH which will harden the water? Does soft water have high pH (or am I on the wrong track totally)?
Other way around. Soft water has a low pH. Hard water has a high pH. You have live bearers that like a neutral pH and hardness, so your tank will be a little too soft for them, by adding the lime chip it will harden the water a little and lift the pH to make it more suitable for them.

Other way around. Soft water has a low pH. Hard water has a high pH. You have live bearers that like a neutral pH and hardness, so your tank will be a little too soft for them, by adding the lime chip it will harden the water a little and lift the pH to make it more suitable for them.
I don't want to raise the pH of my water as it's in the range of 7.4-7.8. I want to test the GH. I want to get the plants growing as I've never had much luck. I am trying to find the answer to the cause of the plants not really growing

I don't want to raise the pH of my water as it's in the range of 7.4-7.8. I want to test the GH. I want to get the plants growing as I've never had much luck. I am trying to find the answer to the cause of the plants not really growing
What plants do you have.
It's interesting to me that whilst people are just about getting their heads around the idea that fish need certain conditions of pH and water hardness, seldom are the same thought processes applied to plants.
Fortunately, in general, plants are more resilient, but still... ;)

L
What plants do you have.
It's interesting to me that whilst people are just about getting their heads around the idea that fish need certain conditions of pH and water hardness, seldom are the same thought processes applied to plants.
Fortunately, in general, plants are more resilient, but still... ;)
Limnophila, java fern, (I'm looking through the posts to see if I can see any others I have) I have 2 others

Your water will be Alkaline from the tap due to the Chlorine but if it is soft, it will go acid in your tank.

Most reactions

Back