Hang On Tank Filters

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

alien-planet

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
So today i decided to get a new filter to test out and its called a Marina S20 slim filter cost me £16 very cheap and was wondering what peoples ideas about this filter , the design of it is quite good and but i was told i should change the cartridges with bio filter what's your person opinion on this ?

all welcome to share views cheers.

I'd suggest swapping out the cartiridges for some sponge that is cut to the appropriate size.  The cartridges (or better yet the sponges) don't need to be changed very often at all.  They do need to be rinsed every few weeks, just some swishing in a bucket of old tank water...

The cartridges' function is to actively remove ammonia so if you stick with the cartridges you'll have change them religiously every few weeks as recommended to prevent an ammonia spike and the associated problems. Much better to do what JD suggested and substitute the cartridges with sponge which doesn't need to be replaced until it is falling apart (and that takes years!)

Same response from me - some good quality sponges in place of the carts!

I upgraded it removed two cartridges and replaced them with bio balls and polyfiber wool / sponge material looks like a better setup , dis advantage about it is its slim. But water flow is nice

Most reactions

Back