Hammers Blue Cobalt Lobster Compatibility

jimbo7676

Reaction score
Hi im new here but I had to get some outside advice I want a blue cobalt Lobster, and I have read a lot of facts on it, and some say they are really calm and dont bother anyone, and some say they are agressive. WHICH IS IT??? I have 10 little tetras and 2 australian tetras, and a red clawed crab. I really want to know If they will get along with the crab. I know they dont like there own species, but i cant seem to find anything about other invertebrates. PLEASE HELP
thanks

Hi im new here but I had to get some outside advice I want a blue cobalt Lobster, and I have read a lot of facts on it, and some say they are really calm and dont bother anyone, and some say they are agressive. WHICH IS IT??? I have 10 little tetras and 2 australian tetras, and a red clawed crab. I really want to know If they will get along with the crab. I know they dont like there own species, but i cant seem to find anything about other invertebrates. PLEASE HELP
thanks

The Hammers Blue Cobalt 'Lobster' is actually a species of crayfish (Procamberus alleni). It really isn't good for a community tank and will, given enough time, eventually attack its tankmates (including the crab). Does that mean that no one can succesfully keep a crayfish in a community? Hardly. It ultimately is going to depend on the disposition of the crayfish, the speed of its tankmates, the number of hiding places, etc, and there are plenty of people who have made it work. I kept mine in a cichlid community with no problems for a few months, but have since moved it into a species tank. I attribute my success to a high number of hiding places for the crayfish, a good tempermant, and ultra-agressive fish as tank mates.

Here's the thing though: while it might be fine in the tank at present, you are ALWAYS running the risk of it becoming more aggresive and attacking tank mates (and it is capable of catching some fish and definitely inverts). While mine never ate any of my fish, it did on occasion chase them threatingly. Moreover, the crayfish is primarily nocturnal, while many fish are not. This means that the crayfish is scavenging at the time when the fish are their most vulnerable.

So ultimately it comes down to balancing: If couldn't stand losing your fish and/or crab, you probably don't want to put the crayfish in there. You're always balancing on that knife edge, hoping it won't become agressive. Personally I would put it in a species tank.

You can check out some info on it here: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=128872

Mike

Most reactions

Back