halides

jimdogg187

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i just fineshed building my canopy for my reef tank. (it looks sweet!) my lfs is supposed to hook me up with a halide retrofit kit, but i would like to see if i could get one cheaper online. i'm looking for a 150 or 175 watt retrofit kit w/ 2 bulbs to mount inside the canopy. anyone know of a good site to check out? thanks for the help, jim

www.premiumaquatics.com :cool:

you may do well on ebay.

you may do best on the selling forums on reef central.

jimdogg187 said:
i just fineshed building my canopy for my reef tank. (it looks sweet!) my lfs is supposed to hook me up with a halide retrofit kit, but i would like to see if i could get one cheaper online. i'm looking for a 150 or 175 watt retrofit kit w/ 2 bulbs to mount inside the canopy. anyone know of a good site to check out? thanks for the help, jim
Hello Jim,

with regards to your Aquarium lamps, I think it will be Best that you purchased your lightings at your local fish store.

You have to consider a lot of things like product warranty and handling...

I would like to share my knowledge with regards to Metal Halide lamps.

In my personal opinion, I would choose a E-27 base socket lamp than using a R7s ( DOuble Ended lamp ) why? based on experienced, E-27 or Medium based lamps have a longer lifespan.

I'm talking on my exerienced since our family business sells industrial lightings.

Double eneded lamps are cheaper than Medium base lamps, they Heat up easily and easily consume the chemical that is stored in the lamp.
Some people will mostly likely dispute my claim....but I know that Medium base lamps are better and more efficient in color rendering.

Some people will used data's to back their claim...but this data's are written by the lamp maker, of course, they will say or claim that there lamp is this and that...

I would say, let your experienced be your guide. After a few times of using a particular brand, try a different brands. And you will see the product difference.

Its like buying those fish pellet food, one brand will claim this and that...that they have how many % protein...and another one will claim...they have this % . No one can really tell which is the Best.

And the only time you can tell which is the Best is your experienced! The after effects of how you used your lamps vis a vis the after effect of fish food on your fish. If your fish becomes Beautiful, then the Food is superb and its claim is the Truth!

In metal halide lamps....I would say, Osram/Sylvannia & Radium are the Best!
but we cannot count GE, VEnture, EYE IWASAKI out.

In our country, IWASAKI has proven its worth! We don't have many Quality brands, but IWASAKI has proven its quality.

Hope this helps!

thank you for your advice paulo :D i did buy the set at my lfs. i wound up with a set of open ended 175 watt hamilton metal halides. two 14k bulbs, and 2 electronic ballasts. the set looks great! my last question is, about how much per month will it cost to run these things for 6 hours a day? i know my local power rate is eight cents per kilowatt hour, so how can i figure this out? jim

Most reactions

Back