Hair Algae in my 10g

OK, I'm back.

I have a Salifert PO4 Profi Test.

The phosphate tested at 0.25 or under. It was kinda hard to tell, but it was *defintely* no higher than 0.25.

Although ostrow's comment about the algae being efficient consumers of the phosphate makes sense too!

Maybe when I go back into the LFS tomorrow, I'll bring a sample of water...

"Maybe when I go back into the LFS tomorrow, I'll bring a sample of water... "

Absolutley have them do a COMPLETE water test. write down the levels.
In the mean time i am gonna check some other ideas I have about what could be causing it.
Although everyone I chat with seems to think the same as I..Phosphates.

Ill check into it for you. I enjoy the challenge and the oportunity to learn..Knowledge is power

Jedi

Thank you again!

I'm very lucky to have such a wonderful lfs and also such a great site like TFF to check these things out!

i have found that extended day time hours on your bulbs wears them down faster. When i had an algae problem before I got my halides it was due to my vho bulbs being told old and their spectrum had changed due to age.. thus causing algae to bloom.

I recently added 2 emerald(mithrax)crabs to my 72 gallon and I have noticed a significant mowing of hair algae over the week. I have always manually removed it up to now. My urchin however, didnt make a difference I could see.

tff said:
I recently added 2 emerald(mithrax)crabs to my 72 gallon and I have noticed a significant mowing of hair algae over the week. I have always manually removed it up to now. My urchin however, didnt make a difference I could see.
I got this from liveaquaria.com:
It requires a mature aquarium with plenty of rock work and hiding places. The Emerald Crab eats algae and various types of meaty items it can scavenge. It can be harmful to small fish, but unlike many other animals, it will eat bubble algae and is useful for cleaning tanks of this potential problem. They are an opportunistic feeder, and if food is not available to them, they may turn to supplementing their diet with corals or invertebrates.
With my tank only being a 10g and having 3 small fish (esp my clown goby who lives in the rocks), I don't think that would be the wisest option for my little tank...

Ed - Thanks for the article, I'll go read up now :)

As I had thought and looking back at this post and your Phosphate level. I am standing by my original theory of high Phosphate being the cause of your hair algea.
Lower the food to every other day, lower your lighting to 6 total hours for a month. And definatly do not use tap water for at least 1-2 months.
I bet the house that the algea will go away.
if you need to get a few more turbos, and bue leg hermits to mow down the algea.

Hope I was helpfull... Good Luck
Jedi

I already don't use tap water and feed every other day. I've got the lights on for 8hrs, so I'll cut it back to 6.

The blue legs I have don't touch any of the algae... When I'm at the lfs today, I'll see about turbos b/c I don't have any of those.

Thank you again, you have definitely been helpful :)

:kana:

Glad to have helped. If you can get turos, and margaria snails. they will eat it up. Look into a lwan mower blemmy , they like that stuff too.

Jedi

I have a margarita snail already, but he doesn't really touch it. I'd get a blenny, but I'm already seriously pushing my stocking limits with my green clown goby :*)

The lfs trip has been postponed til tomorrow. My in-laws are coming in town this evening to visit and they can be very helpful in wrangling my toddler tornado in the fish store tomorrow :lol:

i would have to suggest, addng a AC300 turned into a fuge filled with sand, couple rubble pieces and cheato macroalgae. Here's some pics of what i am followig to whip up my own for the 10g.
AC500_2.jpg

11860refugium_front.jpg

11860ac300_side_view.jpg

*photo's taken from nano-reef.com forums*

Thanks for the pictures :thumbs:

For right now, I've cut the lights back from 8hrs a day to 6. I'll give that a little time and see if it works.

The 'fuge is a good idea regardless though...

I have 15 ish (can only count that many at any one time, I have purchased 20, but I know that 2 of those are now empty shells. I have seen baby ones on the glass recently, needed a magnifying glass to confirm it though, they are tiny) Turbo snails, they like to clean the algae from the glass but just glide over the hair algae.

That fuge idea looks cool, can we get AC300's in the UK? Or is there something similar?

Margarita snails, can we get those in the UK, never seen any, but they sound very good....

The Margarita Snail, also known as the Stomatella Limpet Snail, Pearl Snail, Little Margarite, or Pearly Topped Snail, has a smooth shell, and a turban shape. Some question the taxonomy of this snail since most Margarites are found at cooler temperatures. It is a sought-after snail since it is an algae eater.

The Margarita Snail prefers an established aquarium with live rock since it grazes on algae. It is reef-safe and peaceful. It is sensitive to high nitrate levels and copper-based medications.
http://www.liveaquaria.com

Jon

Most reactions

Back