Guppy’s in a community tank?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stop. Adjusting water parameters is a very risky and complicated bit of chemistry. What is the GH (general hardness)? You said "generally softer water" in post #1 and we probably should not have overlooked this. You are in London, UK presumably, which I thought has hard water. Can you pin down the GH please?

The iridovirus seems primarily confined to the dwarf gourami, but some sources do suggest it may spread. It really is not worth the risk. You have to consider your fish first.
Hi mate sorry to bother you again you just seem very knowledgeable. I sorted the lack of Pygmys by adding another 3 so I now have a group of 9. With 3 bronze corys and 6 glow light danio. My local fish shop recommended a female betta to add to the tank and was wondering your thoughts. Didn’t want to create another thread to bother people so just wanted to measure here

Hi mate sorry to bother you again you just seem very knowledgeable. I sorted the lack of Pygmys by adding another 3 so I now have a group of 9. With 3 bronze corys and 6 glow light danio. My local fish shop recommended a female betta to add to the tank and was wondering your thoughts. Didn’t want to create another thread to bother people so just wanted to measure here

I wold not suggest a female Betta. Primarily because I would not find "largish" fish (compared to what you have) suited here. More small species tends to add more interest to smaller tanks like a 20g long. The pygmy sparkling gourami in a group of five is worth considering...though we have still not pinned down the actual GH and these fish need softer water.

I wold not suggest a female Betta. Primarily because I would not find "largish" fish (compared to what you have) suited here. More small species tends to add more interest to smaller tanks like a 20g long. The pygmy sparkling gourami in a group of five is worth considering...though we have still not pinned down the actual GH and these fish need softer water.
Hi thanks for your reply yes I see your point still undecided. My GH is 150 got it tested at my local shop with a master kit. I posted as a separate thread before you replied as I thought you wouldn’t respond due to obviously being busy or what not:) thanks so much for your reply I do really want a dwarf gourami jus keep getting told opposing things

I wouldn't, mainly because IMO you are kinda at your limit already and bettas in community tanks should always be done with caution and a back up plan. Even then, a betta may suddenly start attacking tankmates and it'll be too late to use the back up plan. For now, unless I'm missing something, I'de try to expand your bronze corydoras group. I like to have bigger schools of fish as opposed to smaller groups with centerpieces if possible.

I wouldn't, mainly because IMO you are kinda at your limit already and bettas in community tanks should always be done with caution and a back up plan. Even then, a betta may suddenly start attacking tankmates and it'll be too late to use the back up plan. For now, unless I'm missing something, I'de try to expand your bronze corydoras group. I like to have bigger schools of fish as opposed to smaller groups with centerpieces if possible.

I think he is now saying female Betta, but issues still remain.

And this is still the issue as you've noted...the existing fish species need increasing so they will be at their best, and that shoould always come before adding something else.

I think he is now saying female Betta, but issues still remain.

And this is still the issue as you've noted...the existing fish species need increasing so they will be at their best, and that shoould always come before adding something else.
I'm not quite sure what you are saying, so sorry if I misunderstand, but to me it honestly doesn't matter whether the betta is a female or male. I like to look at the personality of the individual betta, a female can be just as if not more aggressive than a male IMO.
I agree, bigger groups matter more to me than a beautiful centerpiece.

Most reactions

Back