Guppy’s in a community tank?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys, apologies for messaging again, just feel like information online isn’t often as reliable as it should be. I currently have a 20 gallon long fully cycled with a ph of around 6.7 generally softer water. Ammonia nitrites both now 0 ppm. I have 6 Pygmy cory 6 glow light danio and 3 bronze corys. With one dwarf gourami soon to come. I do 50% water tanks weekly and the tank is well maintained with high oxygenation from a spray bar and lots of plant cover. I was wondering about getting guppy’s and what there behaviour/ tank care requires. I heard for a 10 gallon 3 is useful and wanted to be safe by getting 3 (2 males 1 female) for my community tank. Would that work with the other fish in the tank?

Don't get dwarf gouramis because they are riddled with diseases that can't be treated.

Guppies need water with a GH around 200ppm and a pH above 7.0.
Guppies should be kept in single sex tanks with either all males or all females to prevent the males pestering the females.

No, this willnot work because the water is soft and slightly acidic. All livebearers must have moderately hard water and a basic pH because their physiology requires the calcium that they cannot get any other way than by extracting it from the water entering their bodies.

The tank space is getting a bit crowded anyway, and you really should increase the fish you have, the pygmy cories and the glow light danios. And I would not recommend a dwarf gourami here. I believe this has been mentioned by several members in another thread. We haven't changed our thinking because the fish's needs don't change. ;)

Hi guys, apologies for messaging again, just feel like information online isn’t often as reliable as it should be. I currently have a 20 gallon long fully cycled with a ph of around 6.7 generally softer water. Ammonia nitrites both now 0 ppm. I have 6 Pygmy cory 6 glow light danio and 3 bronze corys. With one dwarf gourami soon to come. I do 50% water tanks weekly and the tank is well maintained with high oxygenation from a spray bar and lots of plant cover. I was wondering about getting guppy’s and what there behaviour/ tank care requires. I heard for a 10 gallon 3 is useful and wanted to be safe by getting 3 (2 males 1 female) for my community tank. Would that work with the other fish in the tank?
I wouldn't. Guppies don't do the best in soft water, and IMO you are kinda at your limit anyways. I would get 3 more bronze corys and increase existing groups a bit.

No, this willnot work because the water is soft and slightly acidic. All livebearers must have moderately hard water and a basic pH because their physiology requires the calcium that they cannot get any other way than by extracting it from the water entering their bodies.

The tank space is getting a bit crowded anyway, and you really should increase the fish you have, the pygmy cories and the glow light danios. And I would not recommend a dwarf gourami here. I believe this has been mentioned by several members in another thread. We haven't changed our thinking because the fish's needs don't change. ;)
Okay thank you. Yes I won’t get guppies then for sure. I’ve always heard really good things about dwarf gouramis and really want one. It’s a hard one. I am planning on getting now 2 more Pygmy cories and a couple albino bronze Coryd

Okay thank you. Yes I won’t get guppies then for sure. I’ve always heard really good things about dwarf gouramis and really want one. It’s a hard one. I am planning on getting now 2 more Pygmy cories and a couple albino bronze Coryd

Please get a few more pygmy cories, you have six so another 4-5 wold be good. This is important. A couple more of the glowlight danios would help them too.

Dwarf gourami are known to carry the iridovirus and there is no cure. Unless you can get the fish direct from a reliable breeder, and not in any store, it is not safe. It is also not a good choice with the fish you already have anyway.

I will definitely get more Pygmy cories this Friday. Everywhere says 6 would be perfect so very strange . Does the dwarf gourami disease spread to other fish? Is there any other fish I can keep in there which can do well on its own I’m planning to make the water slightly hardier

I will definitely get more Pygmy cories this Friday. Everywhere says 6 would be perfect so very strange . Does the dwarf gourami disease spread to other fish? Is there any other fish I can keep in there which can do well on its own I’m planning to make the water slightly hardier

Stop. Adjusting water parameters is a very risky and complicated bit of chemistry. What is the GH (general hardness)? You said "generally softer water" in post #1 and we probably should not have overlooked this. You are in London, UK presumably, which I thought has hard water. Can you pin down the GH please?

The iridovirus seems primarily confined to the dwarf gourami, but some sources do suggest it may spread. It really is not worth the risk. You have to consider your fish first.

I was told by my water carrier it’s softer water but after testing it said harder water. I used test strips tho so not the most reliable and I am now wondering whether the water carrier meant it’s softer relative to London in general

I was told by my water carrier it’s softer water but after testing it said harder water. I used test strips tho so not the most reliable and I am now wondering whether the water carrier meant it’s softer relative to London in general
Idk who to believe which is the problem I took their word over test strips. But after asking others from london they said water is hard so I assume they said it’s soft water compared to rest ofnlondon?

To be honest, I wouldn't get a dwarf gourami or guppies. Increasing current numbers would be the best option, and playing around with ph is risky, especially if you are using chemicals. Ideal ph is sometimes important, but so is a stable one. Water parameters that are jumping around constantly is not good at all.

Okay cool
To be honest, I wouldn't get a dwarf gourami or guppies. Increasing current numbers would be the best option, and playing around with ph is risky, especially if you are using chemicals. Ideal ph is sometimes important, but so is a stable one. Water parameters that are jumping around constantly is not good at all.
okay cool perfect. Atm the tank does seem empty and have always wanted one standout fish. I’ve ordered for colllection 4 more Pygmy cories so that will help sort that out with them. Would shrimp be possible and any options for one stand out fish in the tank

After messaging my local pet store they said they reckon it is hard water at around 150. This in London is considered softer” due to most being above 180. Hope that helps :)

Take a glass full of tap water to your local pet shop and ask them to test the GH, KH and pH for you. Write the results down in numbers when they do the tests. Ask them what the test results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, etc).

Honey gouramis are a small species of gourami and you can keep one on its own. They are usually free of the Iridovirus but can catch it from other sick gouramis.

Most reactions

Back