Guppy started dying overnight…

What are the other downside besides having to put things like pH up every time I do a water change.
I started this mix of water having killed two beautiful Betta fish by not knowing anything about cycling or the fact they needed softer water. So the extra “faff” in water changes is my fault entirely ☹️.

I have a tank that has about 24 ltrs of water and I change 10 ltrs each week. I have a 10 ltr canister which I refill at the lfs every two weeks… It’s not that much extra work, I have a 10 ltr bucket that has measures up the side, I put in 4 ltrs cold tap water with enough declorinator for 5 ltrs and then add 5 ltrs of RO water. I mix it and leave it to stand while I clean and remove 10 ltrs of dirty water from the tank and then I top up the clean water with boiling water to get to 10 ltrs/the correct temperature.

As has been mentioned in other posts keeping the mix is consistent is the thing.

What are the other downside besides having to put things like pH up every time I do a water change.
As you've surmised, once you've started to artificially manage your pH and hardness, you'll have to continue to do so. Just as ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels can stress and kill fish, so too can variations in pH and hardness.
To be sure, some fish do have more of a resilience to such changes, but many more do not and even those with a tolerance can experience some stress.

Okay, so I just got home. And I looked at my fish tank as usual, everything looked good until I saw my guppy.. his fin is torn up and his breathing pattern is very weird. I also noticed my baby betta was pecking at his body. Usually he would just run off if my betta ever tried to bite him but this time he would only move a little bit. I already added a little bit of salt like a week ago cause my betta was a little over fed. But for some reason even with a little bit of salt in the tank he still is acting weird. Very odd considering he looked fine a couple days ago. I test my water and I that was also fine. Only thing mildly bad was the nitrite which there was only 0.2-0.1, bassicaly next to none. But my betta has always been fine and really active. It’s always the guppy’s man… maybe I’m just a bad guppy fish keeper or something cause I never can have one for like over a month. He also seems to be shaking.
You have the guppy with the betta? Not good. I keep my 2 male guppies with two White Clouds together & the betta lives alone. He has his plants & few snails.

Most reactions

Back