Guppy started dying overnight…

Bettaguy08

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Okay, so I just got home. And I looked at my fish tank as usual, everything looked good until I saw my guppy.. his fin is torn up and his breathing pattern is very weird. I also noticed my baby betta was pecking at his body. Usually he would just run off if my betta ever tried to bite him but this time he would only move a little bit. I already added a little bit of salt like a week ago cause my betta was a little over fed. But for some reason even with a little bit of salt in the tank he still is acting weird. Very odd considering he looked fine a couple days ago. I test my water and I that was also fine. Only thing mildly bad was the nitrite which there was only 0.2-0.1, bassicaly next to none. But my betta has always been fine and really active. It’s always the guppy’s man… maybe I’m just a bad guppy fish keeper or something cause I never can have one for like over a month. He also seems to be shaking.

Attachments

• 73D3A14A-4736-4403-ABD9-CDC71AFC8820.jpeg
    73D3A14A-4736-4403-ABD9-CDC71AFC8820.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 38
A Betta should not be kept with a guppy or most other fish. A Betta is best kept in his own 5 gallon or larger tank.
How large is the tank? Did you cycle the tank? Do you have a test kit? Is so, what are test results?

Last edited:
A Betta should not be kept with a guppy or most other fish. A Betta is best kept in his own 5 gallon or larger tank.
How large is the tank? Did you cycle the tank? Do you have a test kit? Is so, what are test results?
10 gallon tank. I would say the cycle process is almost over considering my nitrites have stayed the same for about 1 and a half weeks. My test kit is tetra, I use it cause I’ve seems popular fish YouTubers use them. My test results are

Nitrates 10
Nitrite 0.2
Total hardness 300
Chlorine 0
KH 120-180 ideal range
pH Neutral 6.8-7.2
Ammonia 0

I also sometimes add quick start every now and then to make the cycle process a bit faster

Oh no. I’m looking at my guppy and my betta is being super aggressive to him. Trying to bite him. I think I should get her out. Edit: it was getting so bad to the point were I had to put here in this cup, I won’t keep here in there, but right know she was just being waaay to agressive.

Attachments

• E521B0D3-0134-4788-9BA8-F0295A694734.jpeg
    E521B0D3-0134-4788-9BA8-F0295A694734.jpeg
    237.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 811AD3A6-057C-4C11-9F7A-D06D7B2008D6.jpeg
    811AD3A6-057C-4C11-9F7A-D06D7B2008D6.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Apart from the fact that Betta fish should be kept on their own, you have nitrites in the tank and should be doing water changes to reduced them to zero.
Also, Betta fish need much softer water than guppies so aren’t compatible on for many reasons.

Separate them asap. Then do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate to get the nitrite down to 0ppm.

Salt does nothing to help fish that have eaten a lot of food.

Oh no. I’m looking at my guppy and my betta is being super aggressive to him. Trying to bite him. I think I should get her out. Edit: it was getting so bad to the point were I had to put here in this cup, I won’t keep here in there, but right know she was just being waaay to agressive.
some bettas are really just sassy lil fish :(, that one really has attitude at such a young age!
the best care for the guppy is to put it in a 5g+ tank and get it some friends so he will be happier, and the betta just let her be alone in the current tank (idk how big)
bettas need soft water, and guppies need hard water (unless they are used to soft water)

some bettas are really just sassy lil fish :(, that one really has attitude at such a young age!
the best care for the guppy is to put it in a 5g+ tank and get it some friends so he will be happier, and the betta just let her be alone in the current tank (idk how big)
bettas need soft water, and guppies need hard water (unless they are used to soft water)
Yea definitely. Unfortunately the guppy just past away, he was starting to stay at the bottom of the tank and barley breathing. And I know you said about water softener, do you know how to make water softer?? Cause I don’t know how to

Yea definitely. Unfortunately the guppy just past away, he was starting to stay at the bottom of the tank and barley breathing. And I know you said about water softener, do you know how to make water softer?? Cause I don’t know how to
what ph and gh is the water in your area, like tap water?

you can add tannins like driftwood to make blackwater tank
iu
not mine, i only have one tank, found this online somewhere

you can add Magnolia leaves, pretty much any leaf actually and some driftwood

You should buy fish that do best in your water conditions instead of adding chemicals to change your water. In your case if your hardness number is accurate, you have very hard water. Usually when you have hard water like yours, your ph would be higher than your test shows. . Where did you get the hardness number? Your water supplier would be able to tell you the hardness.

You should buy fish that do best in your water conditions instead of adding chemicals to change your water. In your case if your hardness number is accurate, you have very hard water. Usually when you have hard water like yours, your ph would be higher than your test shows. . Where did you get the hardness number? Your water supplier would be able to tell you the hardness.
My water has always been super hard, bassicaly on every test it’s a light brown color which is super hard water. I think that’s smart to buy fish that match my water conditions, but honestly I really like bettas and have always liked them so I want to try and take care of mine, that’s why I want to lower the water hardness. I don’t know if it will make a big impact though

Most reactions

Back