Guppy Question

Kurrent

Reaction score
Hello!
Fairly new to fishkeeping (I’ve only ever had bettas kept solo). I got a 10 gallon to branch out into different fish and ended up getting 5 guppies. I thought I got all males but ended up with 2 females. One of the males died, so as it stands I have 2F/2M. I wasn’t intending to breed them but the males are of course trying (thus harassing the females). I’m not sure if I should just leave the group as is, get more females to spread out the harassment (but I don’t want a whole bunch of babies), or if getting more males would just stress the females to death.

Thanks!

I had 9 platys (5 females) in a tank. At first I was thrilled to be raising fry. It was a first for me. However it got old rapidly. Each month I was netting young juveniles and bringing them to my lfs. I finally re-homed the females.

If you’re new and haven’t seen this little miracle of guppies being fruitful and multiplying you’re in for a treat . Every aquarist should see this in their own aquarium a few times . It will really boost your interest in the hobby and give you something fun to watch . The mating behavior isn’t harassment , it’s just the way of guppies . The females shrug the males off and they don’t seem too stressed by the males constant attention . What you have is just fine . Enjoy them !

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back