Guppy?, Platy?, Or Guppy-platy?

What you are all forgetting is that most platys available nowadays are all crosses between maculatas and variatus and some are even swrdtail crosses!!!
Most of the time it is hard to tell!!!!!!

Not forgetting freddie, just trying not to stir the pot. I've already been called a newbie for noticing a resemblance with no suggestion that it was such a thing, just had a resemblance. There are few newbies with 50 years of fishkeeping but there you go.

Female sword or variatus. Everybody is getting a bit caught up on the tail. It's not that small - it's just banded (incompletely marked). Sometimes called partial wagtail but this is in black, not red. I've kept fish with this marking and I can possibly get a photo.
I marked the edge of the tail on the original photo. If you don't believe me zoom in on it in a decent image editing program.

Attachments

• post_27503_1211245340.jpg
    post_27503_1211245340.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 36
hahaha...ok then. Well I don't think we will ever decide to be honest!!! It is a very nice fish though :D

I also would like to add that this platy or swordtail has a goivd spot like a female but the bottom fin of a male :eek: . this fish has been chasing all the female in the tank and can't get a break from it (him/he), but other males chase it (him/he) too!!!

Then your platy are Variatus platy as the variatus males are known carried false gravid spot. I have some male Variatus has gravid spots too, doesn't mean they are half male, half female.

Then your platy are Variatus platy as the variatus males are known carried false gravid spot. I have some male Variatus has gravid spots too, doesn't mean they are half male, half female.
that platy had baby frys a few months ago and now seen there were no males, it and 3 other female turned into males :fish:

:drink:

:stupid:

Now im confused by what you said. You said you have males and now you don't have any males? Are you sure that fry come from your fish in the picture? It could from other females. What fish in your tank?

Most reactions

Back