Guppy Line Breeding

There are many myths about inbreeding guppies many new fish keepers believe that after three generations. you should outcross the fish. This is not true  sorry to say that any fish keeper that believes that guppies should be out crossed  after three generations are inexperienced and don’t really know what they’re doing with their fish. You mentioned about line breeding crossing the fish with different generations. This is what you would do to help keep fish healthy. if you run too lines and one was to go down you will still have the others to carry on working with. Only breed from your best fish The only way to learn about breeding guppies is to inbreed them  .  After all, without inbreeding the fancy Guppy, would not exist.

Ohhh now i get it, lol needed long time to understand that now. I have some experience in some other fish breeding but i wanted to start breeding guppy fish and i can say about my self that i dont know anything more that hobby aquarists.Thank You very much for help, but i have a lot more questions about these. If i get you right, if i want healthy fish i need to cross them with relatives ??What generations are good to inbreed them so i keep them in good health  ??

Thanks again Fish48 !! I read it and must say that i understand it much better then when i start to write here first time. I was thinking, ( a lot of people told me ) that when you cross relatives your fish will be sick, deform so i wanted to out cross but i see now there is no need for that.
Now i am going to start to build rack and some more aquariums for these. Soon when i finish everything will take some pictures of starting my fish room and add them here.

Good luck, zvrle; fish48 has given you some great advice, I see :)

Make sure your parents are the very best fish you have, and make sure the fry get good food and plenty of water changes, and you should get some very nice fish :)

Thanks Fluttermoth, hope to get some good fish, still beginner so any advice needed.
Food was planing to be grindal worms and flake food for parents and microworms for fry. And what about water changes, i was thinking 25-30% of aquarium once in week, ( 7 days ). You think that is not good ?? Any advice about that ??

zvrle said:
Thanks Fluttermoth, hope to get some good fish, still beginner so any advice needed.
my best advice is to Google 'show type' or 'show quality' guppies and spend some time looking at the pics, so you get to recogonise the shape of fish you want to be aiming for.

Food was planing to be grindal worms and flake food for parents and microworms for fry. And what about water changes, i was thinking 25-30% of aquarium once in week, ( 7 days ). You think that is not good ?? Any advice about that ??
Sounds good, but I'd up the water change in the fry tanks. 25 or 30% every day, or every other day at least, wouldn't be too much; honestly, large regular water changes are good for growing fry.

They produce a lot of waste for their size when they're growing, and release a hormone that can stunt their growth if it's not removed.

Both my self and fish 48 keep any types of guppies between us.

When beeding show quality fish you breed the line of guppies you know. Out crossing to a similar fish can often destroy a line of guppies as their are many gene's in the colour of guppies, there are several red gene's and you cross 2 red fish with different gene's you end up with poor fish.

Show breeders though often outcross a single female and keep ther fry away from all of their other fish. However their working with other breeders and they know these fish are of the same gene. these result is some nice fish for showing but these are not kept in the breeding program.

For example research RREA full Red Guppy.

Personally I select 2-3 of the best males to (brother-sister) for most of my breeding programs.
Although when working with something like the Pintail I usualy do a father-daughter to try to keep the pin gene going...

WOW amazing guppy, wish i can find any of them here.
I was thinking to start with half black red, i like them the most and hope i can find one pair good to start with here. And about water changing, i was thinking to get some barrel so i can control water temperature before adding to aquarium and was talking with some people here about changing water, some of them think every or every second day is to much but some, very little, talk me that is good and help fry to grow better. So was thinking to start 25-30% every second day at beginning and see how it will go.
Here is picture of rack i was planing to start to build, picture is not the best draw but what to do sorry for that
smile.png

Rack.png
What do you think, are the aquariums good for them or need to change something ??

That looks good. Just make sure you've got enough room above the tanks to be able to get your hands in  :)

lol i have 20 cm in last row ( in every ) so think its enough to put my hand and play with them
fish.gif

I have now one problem with my fish, that i didnt care to be inbreeding, just take some to play for start, 1/2 male and female fish are thinly, skinny. What can be problem and anyone know what to do. Dont have pictures to show, need to take them and will put next day.

skinny fish may be a sign of sickness. feed them on live foods for a week to see if they improve

.if you are really serious about breeding guppies breed from good stock,

Here are some pictures i take, hope you can see what is problem with my guppy and sorry for bad quality they were taken by phone.
Also to say they look little better when i take picture, i give them boiled red pepper and theirs belly look better.
20140218_223325_1.jpg
20140218_223326_5.jpg
And just forget to say, yes i am serious, i want to breed them and get the best result i can, but these is just playing to see how all things are going before i build them new rack and put them like on picture i post earlier. Forget to take picture of guppy i cross, theirs dad die so i put his son with mom and will see what will i get in that line. Picture of that male soon.

fish48 said:

This is the one ,& now being crossed back to it’s sister.  and the father is being crossed back to one of its daughters

2 males from cross  i will split them into two lines/ groups i hope to fix a good strain 

Attachments

• IMG_0306 (640x422).jpg
    IMG_0306 (640x422).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 148
Another cross, bottom sword guppy i need to improve tail shape

Attachments

• IMG_222.jpg
    IMG_222.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 123

Most reactions

Back