Guppy Got Cotton Wool Around Him Help!

Draagyn84

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Right I've been having some problems with my new tank. I'm completely new to all this.

I have a superfish aqua 40 tank with 3 x guppies, 3 x glo lights and 1 x neon tetra

Today the guppies have started acting strange swimming only on top. One has been bullying the other and now the one being bullied has a cotton wool like substance around his body. I'm guessing this is some sort of fungus? No shops open so what do I do in the mean time?

I have took him out of the tank as I don't want the others getting sick but I dot want him to die either.

What can I do?
I did a small water change yesterday. About 25% I'd say.

Did you cycle your tank?
Do the fish have an air supply?

The 'cotton wool' is probably fungal but if it is due to bullying it wont spread to the other fish but you do need to either get rid of the victim or the bully as there will be recurring infections. It could also be bacterial so I would recommend the king British disease clear and dose in the hospital tank.

Do you have a test kit? If not I would recommend the API master test kit
If your tank is not cycled your ammonia is probably very high, you will need ti do a large water change around 80-90% and another large water change 50%ish until your tank has cycled to keep the ammonia level down

You need to do large 90% water changes, if it's a new tank, did you cycle it? If it's the same as your other post then it's a 25L tank, you have far too many fish. 25% change isn't going to cut it, you need big water changes. Do you have a test kit?
Cotton wool sounds like fungal infection, you can get meds for it but first things first-water stats and water changes. 

I don't know how to cycle it.. :( Tips on how to do this please?

They do have an air supply via the filter bubbles.

I don't have a test kit but will be getting one!

I will do a big water change now. I don't have a hospital tank though so I don't know what to do with the guppy that's infected. He is just in a bowl at the moment. Temp in the house is probs 23-25 degrees with it being a hot night. He seems calm on his own now where as in the tank he just kept sinking vertically.

Draagyn84 said:
I don't know how to cycle it..
sad.png
Tips on how to do this please?

They do have an air supply via the filter bubbles.

I don't have a test kit but will be getting one!

I will do a big water change now. I don't have a hospital tank though so I don't know what to do with the guppy that's infected. He is just in a bowl at the moment. Temp in the house is probs 23-25 degrees with it being a hot night. He seems calm on his own now where as in the tank he just kept sinking vertically.

That's ok, you need a test kit which you will get, then you can test the water. Cycling means building up the good bacteria in the filter to handle the ammonia that the fish produce (fish waste) 
I didn't know about cycling either, we all make mistakes and learn from them so don't worry. 
I know what it's like the temperature is insane, I am doing water changes with cold water and topping up with cold water to keep the tank temps down.
That's good that he's settled, the water in the bowl will become stagnant very quickly so just keep changing it. Do you have tap safe? 

Yes I've got tap safe. I'll just keep changing his water and hope he makes it until I get to the pet shop in the morning. Poor thing.

Thank you so much for your help.

You're welcome, let us know how you get on. 

Do you have any rock/sea/aquarium salt, OP?

It might be worth adding some salt, as long as it's not table salt, to the water. It can help keep the fish safer from toxins while he's in the unfiltered bowl and may well help with the fungus as well.

You'd want one or two tablespoons per gallon of water.

be careful adding salt- do it in several spaced out doses not all at once leave 8 hours between them. Start with 1/5 teaspoons which is 1/2 a tablespoon. repeat in 8-12 hours. Do not just pour it into the tank, dissolve it in tank water and pour that in.

A dip would likely be better but since the fish is isolated this may be as good.

As far as i am concerned one can use table salt. One of the better minds in the hobby in the USA for years has been RTR aka Robert T. Ricketts.

Sodium chloride is the familiar white crystalline material in just about every kitchen. Table salt as purchased at the local supermarket in this country also contains iodide and anti-caking compounds.

Iodine is a halogen, and is required for vertebrates in its ionic form. Iodine is the element; iodide is the ionic form. Do not confuse either of those with "tincture of iodine" which is a topical antiseptic and quite toxic. Iodide is necessary for our metabolism as an essential part of thyroid hormone, which is our metabolic pacemaker. Soils in wide areas of this country are deficient in iodine, and this lack can result in goiter (hypertrophy of the thyroid gland, effectively from insufficient iodide intake). Thus the practice arose of adding iodide to salt intended for human consumption. This was the safest (the levels of iodide are minute) and surest way of protecting the population from this deficiency as salt is ubiquitous (all but universal) in food processing and preparation. The levels of iodide added to table salt are so small that any water-living vertebrate or invertebrate would be pickled in brine well before toxic concentrations of iodide could be reached, so that particular urban myth is without foundation. In fact, a number of our tank inhabitants need iodide- most crustaceans have a significant demand for the material, and a number of fish can develop goiter in captivity from the lack of iodine- African Rift Lake fish seem especially prone to this. The often-discussed toxicity of iodide could be considered urban myth #1.

Salt, sodium chloride, is hydroscopic- exposed to air of more than Sahara-at-midday humidity, it will pick up moisture from the air on the surfaces of the individual crystals, which melt at the surface and cement themselves together- in short, they clump. The salt shaker does not work with clumpy salt, so additives are used to block the clumping. Arrowroot is common for this purpose, but others are possible. Again, as with iodine, quantities are small (but larger than with iodide), and are food-safe and fish-safe.

Kosher salt is commonly suggested as an alternative to table salt, as it does not have iodide added. This of course is a response to salt myth #1. Others gasp in horror at this suggestion, as kosher salt may have yellow prussiate of soda (the sodium salt of prussic acid, a ferro- or ferricyanide) as its anti-caking agent. Horrors! That is a cyanide compound! You are sending your fish to the gas chamber and it will kill them instantly! Horsefeathers. Once again, the quantity is tiny, food-safe, and the fish would be pickled in brine long before potentially toxic levels could be reached. Salt urban myth #2 down.
from http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article77.html

I have used both table and kosher as meds.

More good stuff re salt in fw tanks here too http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/salt

Done a 70% water change.. Fingers crossed this helps the other guys.

Think I have lost the guppy though. He's not looking great :(

I lost the little guy :( He died trough the night. The others seem to be a little bit better. However the 2 guppies still seem a little off, but not signs of any illness other than sitting at the top of the water. The tetras are fine though! I've moved the filter a little to create more bubbles when it expelles the water so they get more oxygen.

Most reactions

Back