Guppy fry

Divinityinlove

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
How long should I keep guppy fry in the fry tank separated?

What is the signal or signs that they're ready to join the main tank?

My guppy fry were (all but 1) colourless, and 1 grew faster than others having colour in his tail now, is about half the size of the adult guppies, eats well, but can't swim much in the fry tank anymore... He got out during a water change when the fry tank tipped over... I'm unsure if I need to put him back in.

Relating to my other post just before this, in the main tank, since medicating for worms.. None of the fish seem to approach food and seem a bit disorientated focusing and catching the food as if they're unable to focus. In the fry tank the teenage guppy was finding and eating fine but in the main tank, he is also acting as the adults (who were all totally on it like sonic before with feeding!)

I don't want to keep him locked up in a 15cm x 15cm fry tank longer need be but only in thr fry tank do they get baby brine shrimp. Trying to pipette baby brine shrimp into the main tank, the adults have definitely been missing them (not really catching/swimming right past as with all other food)

Well, it depends on what kind of fish are present where you want to put your fry in. There are fish that will chase and try to eat those fry. But there are also fish that just leave those fry alone. And not all adult guppies will eat fry. At my place only the fry of the albino koi guppies are kept separate for a while. For those adults do eat their fry. But all the rest of the guppy tanks, fry will be kept in the tank with those adults. They leave those fry totally alone.

Well, it depends on what kind of fish are present where you want to put your fry in. There are fish that will chase and try to eat those fry. But there are also fish that just leave those fry alone. And not all adult guppies will eat fry. At my place only the fry of the albino koi guppies are kept separate for a while. For those adults do eat their fry. But all the rest of the guppy tanks, fry will be kept in the tank with those adults. They leave those fry totally alone.
Well he's too big to be eaten now. He's half their size. My concern is is he old enough to find food as that's the main reason I read about separating them as well, as if they're too small in a large tank they might not find food.

Sorry to highjack this but I had the same thoughts with my platy and mollie fry I have 130 litre tank planted tank with 12 platys/mollies and 6 otocinclus cats I've been netting the fry just as I would like to see the fry grow, at the minute they are in 2 small 19litre tanks my main question is, would my tank handle me adding the bigger of the fry around 3/4months (4 of that age) next fry down are 2/3month (8 of them) Then around 20/25 around 1 month (which I will be growing out) just to make more room for the smaller fry, how much extra waste will them fry make in my main tank I would say my tank is fairly heavily plants.

Sorry for the high jack 😅 🤣

Well he's too big to be eaten now. He's half their size. My concern is is he old enough to find food as that's the main reason I read about separating them as well, as if they're too small in a large tank they might not find food.
Oh, no worries. He should be fine to find food himself... I've got sufficient smaller fry than him and they find their food just fine.

Most reactions

Back