Guppy Fry, Holiday And Releasing Them?

chesterjohn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I managed to catch 2 of my guppy fry before they got eaten and managed to get them into a little trap I made for them to grow in. The problem is, I go on holiday in 2 weeks and don't know what to do with the babies.

Will they be big enough in 2 weeks to not be eaten by the other guppies or black neon tetra?

I don't have anyone available to feed the fish, so a feeding block is my only choice. Obviously this isn't an option for my tiny trap I have them in, and I'm sure that being so young, they won't be able to last 2 weeks without food.

I can tell you they will not be big enough to put in your regular tank in 2 weeks. I would suggest that you find someone to look after them while your gone.

At only 2 weeks old, they will not survive a 2 weeks holiday. I have lost tons of fry when I went away for extended periods and had fry in a tank. The adults get hungry and will see the fry as food. If you can get someone to feed you tank as seldom as every 2 or 3 days, the fry will do much better.

Will one of the slow release food blocks do any good?

I don't know the neighbours (just moved), and nobody lives near enough to ask them and it not be too cheeky lol

My own experience with "vacation feeders" is not very good. What I found was that after leaving some of the modern gel based feeder blocks, the fry were all gone in fairly short order. I became suspicious of the blocks when I returned to no fry. When I tried things out with my remaining gel type 7 day feeder block by using it in my tank, I found that the fish in the tank used it all the first day that it was available. That means my fry had to try to survive for almost the entire time I was gone with no other food source than themselves. Needless to say, they were not successful.

I've heard that about feeding blocks before. Guess I'll have to take a chance that they survive, if not, I can always hold off buying any more fish so I can catch a few fry when I'm back and raise them.

Somehow one managed to hide away without me doing anything, and is now starting to get some nice colours. Not sure which fish is the mother as he appears to have colours nothing like any of the others.

Out of interest, what would a fish from an orange tailed male and blue tailed female look like? Is it going to be a mutt or will it turn out pretty?

Most reactions

Back