Guppy Disease?

Silvermist80

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I could really use some help. I've had these strange light colored patches showing up on only my guppies and I can't figure it out. It eventually kills them and I can't pinpoint if its a disease, an injury, or what. They tend to get Columnaris growths on it, but I've had antibiotics going for all my guppies (what's left of them) to eliminate the bacterial infections. I dont think these spots are from the Columnaris though, I think that's a secondary infection.
20201109_140033.jpg
20201109_140032.jpg
20201109_140028.jpg

To me it looks like Columnaris infection, take a look at the picture of the betta on this website.....Identify and Treat Columnaris (Saddle Back Disease)

The betta has the same light spots on its side.

From the website: "Generally, columnaris starts out looking like bleached or off-color patches on the body of your fish. As the infection grows, the surrounding scales also begin to look washed out."

To me it looks like Columnaris infection, take a look at the picture of the betta on this website.....Identify and Treat Columnaris (Saddle Back Disease)

The betta has the same light spots on its side.

From the website: "Generally, columnaris starts out looking like bleached or off-color patches on the body of your fish. As the infection grows, the surrounding scales also begin to look washed out."

Hmm, I dunno. Mine are more like white edged scales with some round bumps. Plus she was just in a 4 day E.M treatment. That antibiotic has never failed me before. Not the first fish to die of this while on antibiotics.

Hmmm, could this be Tetrahymena pyriformis? Aka Guppy Disease? Ugh, it's a parasite, often mistaken for Ich. It says Ich treatments work on it. Some fish are more susceptible, explains why a lot of guppies are getting it, but not all. Took hold while I was having pH and Ammonia issues. I think this is it, but I'll let you all know. If anyone is curious about this affliction, this is where I got my info. http://mobile.dudasite.com/site/fis...tml&utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/#2929

bacterial and fungal, treat it with salt.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate will not affect plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

bacterial and fungal, treat it with salt.

You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate will not affect plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

Well, I'm not sure I agree with that assessment. It's not "fuzzy" at all. It's white edges scales with round raised bumps all over. Trust me, you dont lose 70 fish without having tried *everything*. Ive tried all bacterial treatments, I've tried fungal, both extensively. The fish get the spots and they're dead in a day. Way too high mortality for fungus/bacteria. The only thing that fits is the Guppy Disease. All the reading I've done on it has said it kills very quickly, sometimes mistaken for Ich. It also doesn't have any good/reliable treatments. I'm trying parasitic ones, but the fish pretty much die before I can do much treatment. I got 3 with it now, lost 3 more guppies yesterday from it... this is definitely not bacterial and I highly doubt fungal. I do appreciate the information though.

I read from some sources that certain strains of Columnaris can act much faster than others, so you might have a particularly strong case of this :( I had something pretty similar to this with guppies recently and lost about half of them. Oddly enough, my betta fish that is in the tank with them never got close to sick. The other half of the guppies never got sick either. My guess is that this is yet another sickness that guppies are extremely susceptible to, and one that you might just lose fighting. I genuinely believe that at this point, most guppies in the trade are not as strong as they used to be and stuff like this comes up a lot.

I read from some sources that certain strains of Columnaris can act much faster than others, so you might have a particularly strong case of this :( I had something pretty similar to this with guppies recently and lost about half of them. Oddly enough, my betta fish that is in the tank with them never got close to sick. The other half of the guppies never got sick either. My guess is that this is yet another sickness that guppies are extremely susceptible to, and one that you might just lose fighting. I genuinely believe that at this point, most guppies in the trade are not as strong as they used to be and stuff like this comes up a lot.

So I'm very frustrated with this. Almost all.of my guppies are gone. If this is in fact Columnaris, which is what I thought it was originally, why are none of the anti-bacterial remedies working? Is Columnaris turning into a MRSA type situation where they've developed immunity to all of them? Does anyone have a name of a medication that they know will work? I'm going to try Colin's suggestion of salt, just hope the pet store has some in stock. I've never had such a resistant disease before. I admit my water quality is still on the mend though.

You can buy bags of rock salt from a swimming pool shop, hardware store, or even the big chain stores like BigW, Kmart, Target. Just ask them for a bag of swimming pool salt.

You can buy bags of rock salt from a swimming pool shop, hardware store, or even the big chain stores like BigW, Kmart, Target. Just ask them for a bag of swimming pool salt.

Ok, thanks for the tip. Found some at the Pets
Store though. Gonna give it a go. I'll let you all know if it works.

Fingers crossed. You and your fish have been through the wringer :( hang in there,I'm rooting for the remaining survivors....

you donnt loose 70 fish for no reason aye an all with the same problem so therefore its to do with water chemistry or filter or paramaters honestly what i would do is start fresh clean absolute eveything in the tank even put new media in the canister and clean canister and then cycle again as to me there is somthing in ur water that is sparking it all as you have lost 70 fish to the same thing and all of them get it for some reason so whatever it is is higly contagious so i would start all fresh again it either lives in the water or lives in ur filter

if u went to a pet shop and got another guppy and put it in tank does it get it to ?

if yes then its definetly ur water or somthing bad in water or filter

@jason2098 I suggest you take a look at this post. There's way more to the story, this is just a subset of it. I think @Silvermist80 has been doing all they can and then some.

Most reactions

Back