Guppy behaviour

Tenko

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi.

I've got 8 guppies at the moment, all male, 2 of each variety (flame, blue, fancy etc). I'll be getting 2 more to make it 10 in the next couple of weeks.

Since I've had them I've noticed a variety of playful behaviours. They like messing around in the corners of the tank where the currents swirl about, swimming full pelt against the flow towards the filter outlet pipe then drifting back again, 2 of them keep spinning about each other (I assume this is playing). They've been very curious towards the young catfish and have just about learnt that they're not flake food.

I was wondering whether they are shoaling fish, or whether they'll always just mess about, going wherever they please whenever they want. What is their usual behaviour?

I plan to stock the tank further soon, will this change their behaviour?

I have quite a few guppies and there always on the move playing and going up to the surface to play with the bubbles. Males always chasing the females and the females nipping back. Now there biting at my finger when feeding time comes around. THey are such cool little buggers. Mine loves to play in the current too. I added some glass fish and swordtails and they didnt change a bit. They were curious about the swordtails but once the swordtails let them know whos boss then they just left them alone. Plus the fry are cool as hell!!!!

bills junkie, i have question for you..... I noticed that you have frogs in your tank. How do you keep your frogs from eating your guppy fry. I had guppy fry in my tank before i separated them and my demon frogs had a feast lol.

Tenko, Do you plan on adding any female guppies in your tank for the males? They may get bored and fight with one another if you dont. lol :crazy: :unsure: -_- :rolleyes: :D :hey:

you are right guppygirly i did not think about that one. whew imagine the fry in that tank. :p

Tenko, Do you plan on adding any female guppies in your tank for the males?

No. It's my first tank so I'm keeping it simple. I would like to get a 2nd smaller tank one day and breed guppies some day, but not yet. Plus, the lfs around here don't give any sort of credit for unwanted fish so I'd be giving them away. Besides, if my girlfriend saw baby guppies she'd want me to keep them.

Thanks Billsjunkie for the advice.

yeah that is a godd idea keep it simple get to know your tank then see what happens

Most reactions

Back