Guppy Apocalypse

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jasperwolf said:
Have I done this all wrong!?!

Sorry if my post appeared to be harsh or accusing you of anything. This is absolutely not the case I can assure you.

Like Ninjouzata says, am just trying to eliminate any other possible factors, it is hard to make a diagnoses or confirm what is going on based on the amount of information you have given on your first post, hence we need to ask all sorts of questions to ensure we have the full picture of whats happening in your tank.

Jasperwolf said:
I was thinking of putting Interpet no.9 anti internal bacteria in the tank. Would this be ok and should I treat the whole tank? I thought I should as they might have it too. Any other suggestions?

Generally it is not a good idea just to put in any meds thats vaguely resembles the symptoms of your fish, this could do more harm than good, this is why we ask all sorts of things and seems at the moment the number one choice would be to get this fish into a quarantine tank to try and contain whatever this fish has from spreading to the other fish in the same tank.

Jasperwolf said:
Ok thank you, I might use the old tank, I haven't gotten rid of it yet. I have a spare filter that came with my new tank, but should I buy a new heater? I don't want to if it isn't necessary, but if I must...

And yes, if you are going to set up a QT, it will need to have a heater as well really.

There has been good advice given already by Alasse and Ninjouzata, we are here to help you and sorry if you feel we are giving you a hard time or anything like that.

I'd like to ask a couple more things, as Alasse has already asked, can we have specific water parameter readings, and what test kit are you using.

If you can also let us know of your usual weekly maintenance routine, that may help a bit.

And a clear photo/pic of your sick fish and tank perhaps that would help greatly as well. 

The more information you can provide, the better, no such thing as too much information.

Ch4rlie said:
Have I done this all wrong!?!

Sorry if my post appeared to be harsh or accusing you of anything. This is absolutely not the case I can assure you.

Like Ninjouzata says, am just trying to eliminate any other possible factors, it is hard to make a diagnoses or confirm what is going on based on the amount of information you have given on your first post, hence we need to ask all sorts of questions to ensure we have the full picture of whats happening in your tank.

Jasperwolf said:
I was thinking of putting Interpet no.9 anti internal bacteria in the tank. Would this be ok and should I treat the whole tank? I thought I should as they might have it too. Any other suggestions?

Generally it is not a good idea just to put in any meds thats vaguely resembles the symptoms of your fish, this could do more harm than good, this is why we ask all sorts of things and seems at the moment the number one choice would be to get this fish into a quarantine tank to try and contain whatever this fish has from spreading to the other fish in the same tank.

Jasperwolf said:
Ok thank you, I might use the old tank, I haven't gotten rid of it yet. I have a spare filter that came with my new tank, but should I buy a new heater? I don't want to if it isn't necessary, but if I must...

And yes, if you are going to set up a QT, it will need to have a heater as well really.

There has been good advice given already by Alasse and Ninjouzata, we are here to help you and sorry if you feel we are giving you a hard time or anything like that.

I'd like to ask a couple more things, as Alasse has already asked, can we have specific water parameter readings, and what test kit are you using.

If you can also let us know of your usual weekly maintenance routine, that may help a bit.

And a clear photo/pic of your sick fish and tank perhaps that would help greatly as well. 

The more information you can provide, the better, no such thing as too much information.
Ok, I'll set up the QT today and try to get a heater and the interpet as a backup in case he gets drastically worse, he doesn't seem too bad this morning, just his tail. However last night I got home and found another fish missing! I searched five minutes for him and eventually found him IN my tiki heads! They still like to hang out together but this one is the other one who seems to be getting sick! I think I will put him in the qt as well.

I'm afraid these last couple of weeks I haven't done as many water changes as usual. It probably is my water quality but now it's too late! I definitly will be more careful after this. I'm afraid I don't have a water testing kit. I can attempt to get hold of one but my local pet shop generally isn't too amazing when it comes to anything past the goldfish bowl and I doubt delivery is going to be cheap with the Christmas rush.

I'll try and get a picture today, they are such active fish I can't get a good shot!

Think have to agree with you that your water quality is the main issue with your fish, just try to keep doing daily water changes (i'd say at least 35%) and maintenance until you see any changes.

I'd recommend you try to get a liquid test kit if you can, API Freshwater Master Test kit are pretty decent value and more accurate than test strip kits. These are generally about £20 including delivery if ordered online like eBay or Amazon. Maidenhead Aquatics are having a bit of a sale on the API test kits as well, think is £19.99 or something like that at the moment.

Its fairly important to have a test kit, just so that you know what your water parameters are in terms or ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates so if anything was to go amiss like your fish showing symptoms the first thing to test would be the water so you would know if water parameters have changed or not.

In the meantime maybe your LFS will test your water for you and if they do test, ask for specific readings, don't accept the usual "it's fine!" reply they generally give out.

So. a couple of tips there to help you out a little bit.

Sure.

Do you know if it is possible for them to get better on their own? I don't want them to spend their whole lives like this.

Oh no! I just moved one of the fish into the mini current qt tank set up in the tank (pet shop was closed) because he was showing some red on his tail! Now I have found another one but with a red streak on his body. I have but one seemingly healthy fish but even he has red faecies! This disease has cut down my tank population from ten to these last survivors. How do I deal with it. I believe that all of them have it! Do you think they would heal with daily water changes? Or should I just use the medicine and maybe try a fish in cycle?
Aaah!

Most reactions

Back