Guppy and molly

Kerneels

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, my one male guppy and my one male molly keep swimming up and down at the side of my tank near the glass and I don’t know why, could someone please give me some advice

Usually stress if swimming up and down the glass. Do you've a water test kit? Can you test water & post results? What size (dimensions) tank is it? What else is in the tank?

they could be bored or want food.
if they only do it when they see you, they probably want food.

if they do it all the time even when nobody is in the room, they are probably bored and need a bigger tank or something to do.

I have both guppies and mollies and they do the same thing quite often! I’m always confused on why because I test my water and everything looks normal. I assume their board

Usually stress if swimming up and down the glass. Do you've a water test kit? Can you test water & post results? What size (dimensions) tank is it? What else is in the tank?
It can’t be stress because I put stress guard in if they look stressed and then they still do it. No I don’t have a water test kit. It’s a 60 liter tank. Just some fake plants, not a lot of stuff I need to get more hiding places

they could be bored or want food.
if they only do it when they see you, they probably want food.

if they do it all the time even when nobody is in the room, they are probably bored and need a bigger tank or something to do.
What can I get them so that they’re not bored? Because they do it even directly after I fed them

They are both males so they probably want a female to mate with. also I think guppies prefer to be in groups.
I have a female for the molly fish (he does it the most) and I have 2 guppies but I found out they are both males

Can you post a pic of the tank so we can see set up?

A Molly needs lots of swimming place so a tank length of 90cm. Here it's recommended to only use tap water conditioner and not other additives like stress coat. I find @essjay a fountain of knowledge on what we should or shouldn't add to tank.

Also would you consider swapping fake plants for real plants? Lots of benefits for the tank.

I've a 60L (24" x 12") and try to break up the line if sight & give the fish places to hide including under floating plants. I'm restocking the tank plants wise so bit low at the minute with amazon sword, Anubis Nana, Elodea, Salvinia, water wisteria & Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green.

Attachments

• PXL_20201012_135842786.jpg
    PXL_20201012_135842786.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 60
  • MVIMG_20200830_205355.jpg
    MVIMG_20200830_205355.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 60
Also would you consider swapping fake plants for real plants? Lots of benefits for the tank.

I've a 60L (24" x 12") and try to break up the line if sight & give the fish places to hide including under floating plants. I'm restocking the tank plants wise so bit low at the minute with amazon sword, Anubis Nana, Elodea, Salvinia, water wisteria & Cryptocoryne Wendtii Green.
Love your tanks, you are doing great things.

Love your tanks, you are doing great things.
Thanks. I will add more plants to the small one now I've changed the substrate. Gravel is hard to keep roots in - well my gravel was too shallow. But 2" of sand is much easier.

Plants really enhance the tank. @Kerneels you'll see such a difference in the tank by switching out some fake plants for real ones.

Most reactions

Back