Guppies

ScoutCarcer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
If a female guppy gets pregnant how long does it take for the babies to be born?

About 4-5 weeks depending on size of the batch and water conditions. Look at the pinned topics in the Livebearers section for more info.

Dont know really, but :cool: congrats anyway.

i have a female guppy that i got in febuary and when wey got her she was pregnant and we dont know when its gonna come. :clap:

I wasnt going to tell anyone because they were probably going to bother me about this but... I didnt return my zebra danios instead I moved them into a new 20 gallon I found for cheap and bought 3 guppies :D I wanted to know how long it took because I have 2 beautiful girls that I want to see have little guppies with my boy :D :D

EDIT:Opps I told them :X :whistle:

i have a female guppy that i got in febuary and when wey got her she was pregnant and we dont know when its gonna come

I imagine your baby guppies where eaten by the other fish in your tank. If she was pregnant in february she will have had them already.
As I understand it female guppies can store sperm and have several pregnancies this way so I guess it could be possible that she's pregnant again (of course if you have male guppies then she'll definitely get pregnant on a regular basis)

Either way good luck to all with pregnant guppies.

:p its all right i understand.

i have my female in a tank with a siamise fighting fish and a bristlenose.

it was with 2 male guppies that kept nudging her. :wub:

Im sorry to say but with danios in the tank with her the fry are almost definatly going to be eaten. Its easy to breed livebearers in general but are you sure you can raise them and have the space for fry? You still have to be responsable and its no good having fry and then not having the space for them or anywhere to rehome them to when they start getting big.

I wasnt going to tell anyone because they were probably going to bother me about this but... I didnt return my zebra danios instead I moved them into a new 20 gallon I found for cheap and bought 3 guppies biggrin.gif I wanted to know how long it took because I have 2 beautiful girls that I want to see have little guppies with my boy

Congrats on your new tank. I think I've read enough of your posts to see that you're pretty stubborn once you've made your mind up, much like myself!
I fully understand why you want zebra danios, I did too but felt I didn't have room. Still if you are going to keep them I would really add some more and try and keep a decent amount of the tank clear of plants so they can have as much space as possible.

Haven't a clue what others will say, but generally they are only thinking of whats best for the fish and I have found their advice really great so it's worth listening to them.

actually, it sounds like the danios are in the 20g and the guppies are in the 10g from the other threads. if this is the case, congratulations on proper stocking! just be certain to do lots of little water changes while the tank cycle settles out. :thumbs:

Tokis-Phoenix said:
Im sorry to say but with danios in the tank with her the fry are almost definatly going to be eaten. Its easy to breed livebearers in general but are you sure you can raise them and have the space for fry? You still have to be responsable and its no good having fry and then not having the space for them or anywhere to rehome them to when they start getting big.
Ya I know but I dont want tons and tons of baby guppies just a few and probably all that'll survive.(I also have a coral decoration that the danios dont like very much and its the perfect spot for a baby fish to hide :D )

what about a breeding net?

take out the danios and put the guppies in the net.
the fry will be safe from lunch time and you guppies wont be harmed.

how about that? :rofl:

pica_nuttalli said:
actually, it sounds like the danios are in the 20g and the guppies are in the 10g from the other threads. if this is the case, congratulations on proper stocking! just be certain to do lots of little water changes while the tank cycle settles out. :thumbs:
Ah sorry my bad, congrats on good stocking, but that means you are probably going to end up with alot of fry- guppys can easily have up to 30+ fry...

soph said:

GuppyS? you can only put one fish per breeding net in, and even so its advised no longer than 4days max unless you want to run the risk of the mother fish aborting her fry or having birthing complications.

Tokis-Phoenix said:
pica_nuttalli said:
Ah sorry my bad, congrats on good stocking, but that means you are probably going to end up with alot of fry- guppys can easily have up to 30+ fry...
They are all in the 20 gallon

Tokis-Phoenix said:
soph said:

GuppyS? you can only put one fish per breeding net in, and even so its advised no longer than 4days max unless you want to run the risk of the mother fish aborting her fry or having birthing complications.
When I had my mollies and they had fry I tryed to save the fry and put them in a different tank but none survived so Im gonna see how the fry does with out my help. (But I will move them If I have to for some reason)

Most reactions

Back