Guppies

alex124

Reaction score
Hi forum im pretty new to allt his breeding stuff, so i basically need the basics of keeping guppies. my female has given birth to about 9 little ones. she ate 2 of them and i have 7 left. do you have to separate the female straight away, because she is eating them, she stills look quite big and im not sure if she will give birth to more babies. i think the female shud stay in the breeding net, even tho she is eating them, coz she got lots more to go. so im not quite sure, ive fed them some powdered flakes and they ate it all, im not sure what to do. so any help wud be much appreciated.

Seperate them!!! The female mother guppy will eat them all if you don't!!!
You shouldn't keep the female in the breeding net for to long because it will stress her out and she won't give birth to the rest of the guppy fry. Put the female in the main aquarium, the maxium time that you can keep a female in a breeding net is 24-48 hours.
Robert had a good idea with the extra jar... try to get a llittle net that can be placed in the main aqaurium or something to put the fry in everytime you put the female back in the breeding net.

I agree. you should separate mum from fry. My guppy had 17 fry last night!!!
I basically just kept mum in the tank(with other guppies) and floated a breeder trap- then scooped babies with a net into trap as I found them. :D
They are really easy to catch. I figured I might have lost a few but mum doesn't get stessed this way.

Most reactions

Back