Guppies

graywolf

Reaction score
Very new here but have a question. Last night I was looking at online fish sales. Did not realized how many different type of Guppies there were. Does anyone just have only Guppies in there tank? When I receive my tank it will be 37 gal. I was thinking I might want to specialize in just different Guppies.

Very new here but have a question. Last night I was looking at online fish sales. Did not realized how many different type of Guppies there were. Does anyone just have only Guppies in there tank? When I receive my tank it will be 37 gal. I was thinking I might want to specialize in just different Guppies.
You certainly can have a tank of just guppies! Be aware that they WILL breed and you WILL have tons of baby guppies on your hands. The different guppy varieties will interbreed if they are in the same tank. What is your waters GH?

I’ve got a male guppy only tank, it will have 18 identical guppies in it when I’ve got it fully stocked (just finished cycling it) there are four in there at the moment and I love watching them swimming together.

They are very clever and have associated me with food within a couple of days - I only need to go past the tank and they line up at the front 😂 I spend longer watching them than I should while I’m on the phone for work 😳😂

Not set up yet. My tank stand is delayed in shipping. in the mean time I am trying to do my homework. I thought I would get some of the "hard to find" ones. Thank you.

Not set up yet. My tank stand is delayed in shipping. in the mean time I am trying to do my homework. I thought I would get some of the "hard to find" ones. Thank you.
Bama guppies on eBay has some lovely ones!

I’ve just looked for ‘Guppies’ on EBay - oh my goodness!! They are stunning!! I never knew that the guppie in my lfs was one of such a diverse range…
Isn't the variety stunning? All so different. You can even get ones that were imported from Vietnam, Indonesia, or Thailand!

I have an all male guppy tank, unless you want LOTS of babies (which is exactly what you will get!), I would recommend an all male tank as they are prettier than the females. All my boys are pet store mutts, I did try pedigrees (is that the right word?) but they just didn't seem as hardy. Getting them online can be a complicated choice, as you won't be able to check if they are healthy or pick out the liveliest ones. And there is always the chance that they could die in transit and you probably won't be able to send them back/get a refund. On the other hand, there are some GORGEOUS ones out on the web! Quick question, have you had guppies before? You are probably aware of this, but guppies are fairly fragile. All that stuff about them being hardy that you see online is only partly true - WILD guppies are hardy. Fancy pet store ones generally aren't. So it is very likely that you will lose a few. However, they are such lovely things! Mine are so calming to watch and love playing together. Good luck with your guppies! And, I am asking you from the bottom of my heart, PLEASE cycle your tank. You probably know all about that already, but you can never be too sure! :)

Thank you Fishkeeper, after doing some reading, that is what I plan on doing. Yes Yes, I just put in my order to a local fish store.... part of my order said, give me every thing I need to cycle my tank.

give me every thing I need to cycle my tank.
You need to be aware that most stores will sell you a bottle of bacteria and tell you to get fish at the same time. This is not a good idea. You need to either do a fishless cycle using ammonia from a hardware store (fish stores don't sell it) or get a lot of plants from the fish store, wait till they are actively growing, then get fish.
You'll find links to both methods here

To:you Details
1630918951960.png
Thank you for this photo, it explains what all the words say.

One of our admins, Chad, designed that and gave his permission to use it :)

Most reactions

Back