Guppies male or female???

Wooops hit return there by mistake,
Aye anyway, I recently bought a new guppy to keep my other one company, the lady in the pet shop told me that the males have more of a fanned tale than the females and a generally more colourful, when I started thinking about it I said that I had a male so I got another male so I wasn't going to get any baby guppies, but when I got home I noticed that my other guppy looks totally different to this new one, when I introduced them they got rather frisky and where chasing each other everywhere and now all the other guppy does is sit at the very top of the tank, it occassionally goes down to swim about but then it goes back to the top. Now I am wondering if this is a characteristic of a guppy that has a bun in the oven. She seems well so I dont think she is ill. Any ideas folks?

Check the 'livebearers' forum for more information, but we'll humour you here this time... -_-

The one chasing the other is the male. Also, if you check out the anal fin, the male has a penis, and the female has a normal shaped fin.

Beyond that, you'll have to nip on over to 'livebearers' and play with the other newbies over there.

Good luck,
/Kris

Post in the live bearers next time .....

I hope this fish had more than a fin at the bottom and did have a penis other wise .... FRY CENTRAL .....

wow i might be a bit new bu guppies are on of the easiest to tell apart IMO :-(

OK, that's enough with the less than helpful comments. :grr:

Posting in this forum is a mistake many people make and it's not a big problem.chishnfips. I'll just move your thread over to Livebearers and perhaps you will get some more helpful advice there. :D

Well, a male usually (I say usually because there are always those black sheep) have longer tails than females, are more colorful, smaller, and (and this is not a usually, this is an always) have the very last fin on their bottom, right were their butt is, shaped like a stick. It doesn't look like your average fin, it's very thin and sometimes you can catch them waving it around lol. I'm sure someone can post pictures, but I don't know how, so you'll have to wait until someone else does :/ Just because one chases the other doesn't always mean that the one being chased is a girl, since male guppies are particularly horny, they chase males, females, and other fish that aren't even the same species.

How did I not provide him with usefull info ???? I didn't mean too be rude but the male has a "rod" which is used too reproduce that's really as blatin as I can be ..... but the males wont actually be born with this they will develope it

Hi Chishnfips. :D

Some of you are so mean ;) Maybe the reason you are having problems differentiating between male and females is because you've got 2 males??? Males of different breeds can look very different and can be very different sizes.

Hang on, I think I've got a picky of my 2 males getting it on!

leopardyintheactcrop.jpg

As this picture shows, bot of these are males, so male guppies really don't care who they wave their fiddlestick at!

Males are more opaque than females, they have a lot more tail and so it looks more gathered and frilly most of the time - except when they are showing off. Whilst a female's tail is flatter, smaller and more fan-like.

Of course the obvious difference is that the males have a gonopodium - as illustrated in the above picture.

BigButtercup.jpg

This is a female guppy. You can see her body is more transluscent, she has a shorter, less full tail, an extra fan shaped anal fin and she has a 'gravid spot' near her anal fin, which will darken as her pregnancy develops.

HTH Kathryn

Most reactions

Back