Guppies Die

srolfe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 10G Tank With a piece of driftwood and a few Moss balls as decoration. The tank is cycled and Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are OK. I have been adding Fancy Guppies gradually. After I had 5 in the tank, I added 3 more. Over the next 2 days 3 of the original guppies died. I added 3 more and the same thing happened. I now have 4 in the tank. There does not seem to be any disease symptons that I can see.
There are only Male guppies in the tank.

Any ideas?

Were they showing any signs of stress or disease before they died? If you want to breed them, then make sure there are 3 females for every male

Fancy Guppies are very sensitive, due to the extreme inbreeding they've been through. Sadly, it's not uncommon for this to happen, especially with males.

How long did you acclimate them for? What exactly are your parameters? How long has the tank been cycled?

If you want more, go for the ones with the shortest tails, that look like they can swim fine. You'll have a better chance with those.

Sorry for your losses. :(

wow i always thought guppies were some of the hardiest fish on the planet. Infact i think they are.
It's sad that they've gone through so much inbreeding i the bigger countries. That's awful.
But down here, we have wild guppies. They even live in the gutter.
If you tie a string to a cup down here, and put it into the gutter it'll come out full of guppies. They may not look as pretty as fantails but they sure are healthier.

It's sad what man can do for the sake of money.

Fancy guppies are not that hardy, they can be prone to alot of deseases, like bacterial finrot, swim bladder, parasites gill flukes and thing, plus interna parasites what did the anus look like was it enlarged or red and inflamed, plus what did it look like when the fish went to the toilet, check the anus to see if you can see anything prutruding from the anus.

Most reactions

Back