Guppie Is Turning White?

Katlee

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yesterday i went to the lfs and bought 5 guppies: one black tuxedo, one dark blue, one bright yellow, one red snakeskin and one red/orange and white. the orange/red and white one had a full orange tail, orange top half oh his body and white underneath his body. a few hours after wwe got him home i noticed white areas on the back of his tail on teh very edge, Thinking it was finrot i started treating for finrot again. Over the course of the day today more and more of his tail has turned white. there seems to be no damage to the tail and its not "rotting away" just the colour is fading. Over half of his tail is now white. Does anybody have any idea on what this is?

stats are:

ph 7.6
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 20 ppm

8228_147494539333_502479333_2429766_2146754_n.jpg

It could be columnaris.
Is there any bleaching beneath the skin. Any fluffy bits like cotton wool on the fish.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing.

ive just got home again and now the tail is completely white bar a tiny strip at the top of the tail and now the bleaching has gone through the tail into the back end of his body. the tail has only just started to split and fray? there are no white fluffy bits anywhere though. just the bleached tail. does it sound like columnaris then? shall i keep treating? i treated the tank this afternoon so next one is due in 3 days. i dont think he'll last past then.

also noticed another guppys tail has been a bit chewed on. will guppies fight between them selves? as far as i was aware they're fine with the other fish we have. the last time our guppies got munched was when we had tiger barb in the tank, but they've since been rehomed. the fish i have in the tank are all listed in my signature.

the yellow guppy also died this afternoon. im not having much luck with fish lately = [

Not sounding to good.
I would add a bacterial med to the tank.
I lost guppys to the same thing and they rarely survived.
Yes guppys fight. it's best to have one male to 3 females.

The bacterial med is what i started with again yesterday. one from pets at home for all fungal infections. The orange/red and white guppy was found dead this morning with no tail = S

Next time then i'll get some females for the mix, but it wont be for a while.

What amazes me is how quick it all happened, and how quickly the tail rotted.

Yes guppys tail can start to rot and a few hours later the tails nearly gone.

Keep going with the bacterial med.
R.I.P.

Any improvement.

lost the dark blue guppy the other morning but no more deaths or symptoms at all. the remaining tuxedo and red snakskin guppies are doing brill and having fun chasing each other around until we get some females possibly this weekend = ]

thanks for all your help.

Most reactions

Back