Green spiky stuff in planted tank!

Sriram1310

Reaction score
Hi guys, I today noticed some green, spiky stuff growing on my pinatifida leaves. Need some help identifying what it is. I've attached some pictures of the pinatifida leaf (If you look closely toward the top end of the leaf you will find it!). I also managed to capture a macro shot of the thing.
VideoCapture_20200514-022514.jpg
VideoCapture_20200514-022514.jpg
VideoCapture_20200514-022522.jpg
20200513_234840.jpg
Please help!
@Colin_T and anybody else who can help me out here!

Those are hydra. I dont know how to get rid of them but that's what they are

They will eat small shrimp and occasionally fish fry

You can use salt or copper to kill them.

2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.

Otherwise use a half dose of copper. Copper will kill shrimp so DO NOT use copper in tanks with shrimp.

----------------
As mentioned by JuiceBox (trademark limited), Hydra will eat anything smaller enough for them to catch, including baby fish and shrimp.

Hydra are normally introduced on plants.

You can use salt or copper to kill them.

2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in there for 2 weeks.

Otherwise use a half dose of copper. Copper will kill shrimp so DO NOT use copper in tanks with shrimp.

----------------
As mentioned by JuiceBox (trademark limited), Hydra will eat anything smaller enough for them to catch, including baby fish and shrimp.

Hydra are normally introduced on plants.
Okay, thank you. I'll try the salt. I also read somewhere on Google that adding mollies will also solve the problem. They eat the hydras it seems. Is it legit?

Most reactions

Back