Green Sailfin Mollie?

Victora1984

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi, ive just got my self a pair of what i believe are green sailfin mollies , only prob is i been trying to to find a green sailfin that looks like mine, ive seen pics which are white, grey and even brownish ones but mine has a yellow head and is yellow under its belly am guessing that green sailfins are all differant colours?????

Attachments

• gereen_mollie.jpg
    gereen_mollie.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 101
You have a beautiful molly there NoSoup, but it is an aquarium molly, not a true wild type green molly. The lyretail is a dead giveaway on that. I also have and enjoy my lyretails but they are not green sailfins.
Victora, do you know where your sailfin is a vellifera or a latipinna? Either one can be hard to find at a local fish store and both are similar in appearance.

Yeah, it is not my fish though I wish it were....thanks anyway. lol I found it online labeled as a lyretail green sailfin...I assumed it to be the product of a green sailfin crossed with a domestic lyretail. I thought perhaps that was what Victora's fish actually was (a domestic x wild cross). We all know that what you most often find labeled green sailfins in a typical fish store are not usually true wild-types. Victora's fish looks too silvery in color to be a true wild-type green sailfin.

hi thanks for your replies i've just took a much better pic if this helps i aslo have a female so posting pics of her 2 i have no idea if they are vellifera or latipinna dont even know what they mean :S

Attachments

• grrnny.jpg
    grrnny.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 66
  • amazing_green.jpg
    amazing_green.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 66
  • green_8.jpg
    green_8.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 59
  • green8.jpg
    green8.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 53
  • green7.jpg
    green7.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 74
more pics

Attachments

• green4.jpg
    green4.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 84
  • green3.jpg
    green3.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 103
  • green2.jpg
    green2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 106
  • green1.jpg
    green1.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 66
You have a beautiful molly there NoSoup, but it is an aquarium molly, not a true wild type green molly. The lyretail is a dead giveaway on that. I also have and enjoy my lyretails but they are not green sailfins.
Victora, do you know where your sailfin is a vellifera or a latipinna? Either one can be hard to find at a local fish store and both are similar in appearance.
hi thanks for your reply i been doing some research as vellifera and latipinna are two words i never come across before well am now pritty certain its a vellifera but could be wrong.

There are some nice pictures of P velifera here http://diszhal.info/english/livebearers/en...ia_velifera.php As you guessed there are slight color variations in wild type mollies. In domesticated mollies, thee are huge variations in color and fin shape. I keep a large female molly that has a lyretail like the one in NoSoup's picture. Mine does not have a sailfin but is a healthy robust fish for her type. I am a bit concerned about the look of your female. She appears to be stressed in those pictures. Something seldom brought out correctly about mollies in general is that they require rather hard, high pH water to really thrive. A lot of people will advocate salt for these fish but I don't find it necessary as long as the water is fairly hard. In my case hard water is easy, I just open a faucet and fill a tank with it.
A source of nice mollies is swampriveraquatics he often advertises on Aquabid but has no mollies listed there right now. His own web site does show some nice sailfins but at a high price. Truly nice fish can be a bit dear.

My no so fabulous lyretail female with some fry at 18 days after giving birth. Shown with a few of her fry.

Mom18Days.jpg

Most Dobbies stores in England should be able to get them in that colour (well Males for certain)

There are some nice pictures of P velifera here [URL="http://diszhal.info/english/livebearers/en...ia_velifera.php"]http://diszhal.info/english/livebearers/en...ia_velifera.php[/URL] As you guessed there are slight color variations in wild type mollies. In domesticated mollies, thee are huge variations in color and fin shape. I keep a large female molly that has a lyretail like the one in NoSoup's picture. Mine does not have a sailfin but is a healthy robust fish for her type. I am a bit concerned about the look of your female. She appears to be stressed in those pictures. Something seldom brought out correctly about mollies in general is that they require rather hard, high pH water to really thrive. A lot of people will advocate salt for these fish but I don't find it necessary as long as the water is fairly hard. In my case hard water is easy, I just open a faucet and fill a tank with it.
A source of nice mollies is swampriveraquatics he often advertises on Aquabid but has no mollies listed there right now. His own web site does show some nice sailfins but at a high price. Truly nice fish can be a bit dear.

My no so fabulous lyretail female with some fry at 18 days after giving birth. Shown with a few of her fry.

Mom18Days.jpg
what you mean not so fabulous she looks fantasitic nice looking fish :)

Don't get me wrong, I just love her, but I am realist enough to know how much nicer she could look with a sail fin and a bit longer points on that lyretail. Try comparing her to the male that NoSoup posted.

Don't get me wrong, I just love her, but I am realist enough to know how much nicer she could look with a sail fin and a bit longer points on that lyretail. Try comparing her to the male that NoSoup posted.
ohhh yes is a fantastic fish in that pic so have u got any ideas on what mine actually is???

Most reactions

Back