Green Neons Tetras hiding

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DEL 707

Reaction score
I have a 55l planted tank. An AquaOne Aqua Nano 40 with all the stock equiptment.

Pk8IcFk.jpg

The current stock:

10 Green Neon Tetras
3 Amano Shrimp
An army of Cherry Red Shrimp
2 Nerite snails

The tanks been setup for just 6 months, fish have been in there for 4.

My problem is that the tetras seem to spend all of their time hiding, I don't have a big tank, but because of the wood and the plants, I can't even tell how many are alive in there.
There's 1 or 2 big boys who appear from time to time and hang around the front of the wood, but they seem to chase off anyone else who comes forward.
The same thing happens at feeding time, there will be a mad dash for food, but the head honcho chases anyone who comes out.

Its been like this for the last month, before they were all out in front, but very skitterish when anyone came near the tank.

I do 20l water changes everyweek. RO water which I reminerlise with Salty Shrimp GH/KH.
I tested my water today before my water change.
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 10
PH = 6.4

Nitrate is normally lower, but due to illness, I wasn't able to do a water change last week.

Are there any ideas on what I can do to bring my tetras out?

I like you tank, nice looking driftwood. I have a tetra tank (neon, ember, glow light and 1 red eyed tetra. Most tetras come from the jungle streams and rivers of South America. They like shade so I would add some floating plants and maybe tone down the light a little it looks a little too bright.

Light was also my first suggestion. They are forest fish and will feel more secure if they have floating plants to hide them from birds and other predators. That's instinct - they don't know that they are safe because its a closed tank.
Edit: Take a look at the tank in my signature. You will notice that most of the cardinals are under the frogbit. They only come into the light side of the tank at feeding time.

Agree, the immediate problem is the bright light. This species, Paracheirodon simulans, occurs in the middle Rio Negro basin, though it was found by Heiko Bleher as far north as the Vichada in Columbia. The Negro basin is a thick forest (aside from the Rio Negro itself which is wide enough to have open sky) so all the streams and creeks are under a heavy canopy of forest. The species is also a black water fish, which means still further darkness. You would have to significantly lessen the tank lighting, and use floating plants, before this fish will be comfortable. From the photo I assume the plants are the focus, so this species is not going to work.

Seriously Fish also has:
this species is an exclusive inhabitant of blackwater environments and tends to be found only in the upper, terra firme, reaches of tributary drainages. Such habitats typically contain slow to moderately-flowing water with thick, often overhanging, riparian vegetation and sandy substrates covered in fallen branches, tree roots and leaf litter. The water is typically acidic, of negligible carbonate hardness and conductivity and stained brownish due to the presence of humic substances released by decomposing organic matter.

Try adding some floating plants :)

Thank you for all the replies. Green neons were recommended to me by several people, but I did no research.
The focus of my tank is the plants and shrimp, so I don't really want to use dimmer lights or add floating plants.

I am actually giving the tank away to a friend, I'm upgrading, so I wanted to see if I could solve any problems before he took it off my hands.
I'll discuss it with him if he wants to take the fish or not, but can you recommend a nice schoaling fish as a replacement.

Thank you for all the replies. Green neons were recommended to me by several people, but I did no research.
The focus of my tank is the plants and shrimp, so I don't really want to use dimmer lights or add floating plants.

I am actually giving the tank away to a friend, I'm upgrading, so I wanted to see if I could solve any problems before he took it off my hands.
I'll discuss it with him if he wants to take the fish or not, but can you recommend a nice schoaling fish as a replacement.

This is one of the main issues with high-tech planted tanks (meaning, tanks using high light and excess nutrients)--they are not good for fish. Most of the fish we have in aquaria are forest fish that will be impacted by excessive light, and the excessive CO2 and nutrients.

I have always taken the position that if we keep any animal we must attempt to provide what it requires and expects if we want it to be healthy, and anything less is not really humane.

That’s a nice tank, but it has to bright of a light for GNT.

I'm not running CO2.

I realize that. I was just including it because many do in high-tech setups and studies are now indicating fish are affected.

I have several types of tetra and ember tetra hang together and are small also glow light tetra tend to hang together at one end of my tank. They race around but always return to their shoal.

Strangely enough one way to get them to hide less is to provide more places for them to hide.

Weird thing is, been at home again today due to illness and the tanks a hive of activity.

Only thing I did yesterday was a water change and trim back the background plants.

Most reactions

Back