Green Goddess's First Fishless Cycle (240 Ltr)

I thought we wondered about that back at the beginning and you -wanted- to fishless cycle the big one without doing a clone/transfer? Yes, especially now that you are mostly through the process, you could consider doing this movement of both the fish and their MM to the new tank (after a down-to-the-gravel water change of course) and then monitor them to guard against mini-spikes, using fish-in cycling rules, for the period up to your trip. You could then consider having them fed once if they don't seem fully adjusted when you leave. Can't remember, if its a week, they should be fine without a visit.

WD

Hi WD

Well I must say I can't remember discussing a clone/transfer at all. But maybe that's my memory playing games, I'm not sure. I just don't want to risk the lives of my two fish. Perhaps if I really want to play it safe I should continue with the cycle and leave my fish in their small tank which I know is fully cycled.

Hi GG, Its certainly true that there's a lot to be said for just leaving things the way they are when the fish have been doing ok and you've got a trip coming up. Anytime you transfer mature media there's a chance the media will react negatively. I sometimes put it down to the fact that some of the structures in their biofilms are supposedly calcified (kind of like little microscopic cave channels they create to help move oxygenated water and ammonia through the films and feed more bacterial cells.)

Although I still feel your fishless cycle is being slower than hoped, I suppose from an objective viewpoint we might have expected somewhat slower development due to cooler temperatures. Aren't you still under 60 days? We do have cases logged (a fair number) that went just over 70 days and we even have a few over 100 days and I believe all of these are cases where the biofilter did finally settle down and (seemingly amazingly by then) just suddenly started giving double-zeros from then on.

~~waterdrop~~

sounds good to me but u didnt need to cycle a freshwater fish tank only saltwater

WD: OK, thanks for that info. Today is day 68 so I'm hoping things are going to take a turn very shortly. I think I will definitely plod on with the cycle and see it out. There's no point risking the lives of my fish.

David: Not sure what you mean. As far as I am aware, all tanks should ideally be cycled before adding fish. I know I could have done fish-in cycling but I don't want to hurt my fish and I want to do as few water changes as possible as it's a large tank.

Yes, the two species of autotrophic bacteria that develop in a non-salt coldwater filter (such as used for goldfish) are the same as for freshwater tropical filters (perhaps slight genetic variants will be identified some day but for now this is hardly possible.) All bacteria that live in colonies exhibit genetic drift commensurate with the high rate of cell division going on.

~~waterdrop~~

Yes, the two species of autotrophic bacteria that develop in a non-salt coldwater filter (such as used for goldfish) are the same as for freshwater tropical filters (perhaps slight genetic variants will be identified some day but for now this is hardly possible.) All bacteria that live in colonies exhibit genetic drift commensurate with the high rate of cell division going on.

~~waterdrop~~

Well, I'm going away in 36 hours and I'll be away for 10 days. I have nobody to look after my tank so it looks like it will be standing idle for 10 days. I hope the bacteria in the filter don't die off while I'm away. I was thinking of throwing in one of those feeding blocks before I go. Would that help generate enough ammonia to keep the colony alive until I get back?

i would've thought there would be some way of getting a source of ammonia for 10 days!

Did you make a thread on tropical discussion/emergency? I would if i were you.

i would've thought there would be some way of getting a source of ammonia for 10 days!

Did you make a thread on tropical discussion/emergency? I would if i were you.

I have plenty of ammonia but nobody to put it in the tank when I'm away. It's the really nasty industrial grade (.880) ammonia so I don't want to ask just anybody to do it. I have had to extract the ammonia from a septum sealed glass vial using a ground glass syringe and then hold the vial and syringe underwater while I withdraw the syringe and inject the ammonia into the tank. If I try and do it any other way it will mean evacuating the house and close neighbourhood. There's obviously no fish in there so no lives are at stake whilst I am away. In that respect this is not really an emergency, just a significant inconvenience.

I meant could you not just shove some rotting prawns in there, or some fish food or something? Somethings gotta be better than nothing?..!

Put some fish food into the tank and let it rot. the decay will be a steady source of ammonia for a while which should get you over the time you are gone.

Thanks OldMan and PDSimon,

Yes, I wondered if it would be better to put one of those holiday feeding blocks in there instead of just a pinch of fish food to keep the ammonia supply going. What do you think? If I put normal fish food in there how much will I need to put in?

Most reactions

Back