Green Algae After A Week :(

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Pepperami

Reaction score
Hiya everyone :)

Ok I have setup my new Rena Aqualife tank (350 ltrs :hey: ) and after the initial settle down time, reintroduced the fish

The plants I have are all new, apart from the ones that were growing nicely on the wood, I left those as its taken a whole year to get them nice, but yes, they did have a little of the black hairy algae whatever that is called I cant remember LOL

Anyways, the lights are on at 10am, and off at 10pm, the CO2 is also on the same timer, and the CO2 levels look to be right, but I will make a definite test later today to make sure.

I have a small patch of Green Algae on the sand bed near the front of the tank, and also some has appeared on the Spray Bar for the filter, and I do not want it to take hold of the tank :(

I have the tank positioned so it receives no direct sunlight, so i dont think this is natural light related.

Any clues as to why it has started to grow, and so soon! :/

Any help appreciated please :)

Chris

Over feeding or over fertilizing can be a factor in algae growth.

Do you have your lights on for 12 hours without a break? That could well be the problem.

Thanks for the replies guys

Mhhhh fertilezer... I did use some liquid after the first day, to make sure the new plants were ok, having said that, I have some stuff the shop sold me mixed into the sand which is a plant food, and I also have plant STICKS that go into the root at an angle behind the plants, they last a year apparently, so it MIGHT be that?

The lights are on solid 12 hours yes, do I need to stagger it? its able to be staggered on the timer, what would you suggest?

Chris

Start low, maybe 5-6 hours, then slowly increase to 8-10. My suggestion anyhow!

Mhhhh fertilezer... I did use some liquid after the first day, to make sure the new plants were ok, having said that, I have some stuff the shop sold me mixed into the sand which is a plant food, and I also have plant STICKS that go into the root at an angle behind the plants, they last a year apparently, so it MIGHT be that?

The lights are on solid 12 hours yes, do I need to stagger it? its able to be staggered on the timer, what would you suggest?

Chris

I was advised not to use ferts until the tank was fully in use and cycled, because of that exact problem.

What exactly do you mean by a "small patch"? Is it forming a dark green, sorta slimy "blanket"? Or did the sand just turned green?

Just the sand is turning green over a patch about 6" x 6" and I have noticed also the back glass of the tank has some forming too

I have done all the water tests, PH is 7.2 - 7.4, and the phosphate seems a little high, not top end dangerously high but slightly on the high side.

I will do a water change 30% and see if that helps, I will also reduce the lighting from 12hrs to 8 hrs and see how it goes, any other suggestions appreciated ;)

Chris

Chris

Hi Pepperami, just a quickie regarding the timer and lights, i bought a digital timer from b+q to do the job, it has 20 ons and 20 offs for everyday of the week. I think it was only a tenner

I have 4 flouresents plugged into it and the co2 soleniod
works fine :good:

Hope this helps

Yeah those B&Q timers are a veritable BARGAIN! £9.99 for a digital 20 program event timer!

I have the '7 Day Electronic Timer (TE103)'

Bonza

Andy

PS
This is about the ONLY thing I'd recommend buying from B&Q....

No

They switch mains voltages up to a current of 13A.

This is far greater than that required to turn a flourescent bulb on & off repeatedly. (I have 2 lights connected to mine).

Andy

Most reactions

Back