Great dwarf puffer

mattbeau

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok, i've had this DP for over a week now, hes been Fantastic!, eats without any problem, lively, curious and healthy.

He will eat frozen blood worms floating or even if they stop when settled on the ground, eats snails with no trouble and even enjoys brine shrimp.

now generally i give him a few juvie snails with some blood worms for about 6 days then the 7th day i give him some frozen brine shrimp.

is this too much snail?
should i also include daphnia

I will have no probb keeping the snails as food daily as they are all over the place in my main tank

should i just keep doing things like this as there is no real problem

or mix it up even more

Thanks

Sounds like you're doing all the right things for your Dwarf and yes, daphnia would also be taken eagerly.

The only thing I might suggest is fasting the little guy for one day a week to avoid a compacted bowel and keep him eager.

Well done.

Ok great, I guess tommarow he gets to starve :(

so I'll pick up some daphnia tommarow so he gets a new surprise on monday :D

So I'm thinking of this diet

Day 1 Lots of blood worms, a few snails
Day 2 some brine shrimp, lots of snails
Day 3 (if he likes it) Daphnia and a few snails
Day 4 Lots of blood worms, a few snails
Day 5 some brine shrimp, lots of snails
Day 6 Daphnia and a few snails
Day 7 starve to death

Keeping the snails up is no prob, even with a daily diet of 2-3 snails a day, my main tank is still crawling with lots of snails.

Its horrible when the Dwarf Puffers parade the front of the tank for attention on a no-feeding day. Always a guilt trip that is.

Little buggers, they certainly learn quickly how to get food. Put on your hunting colours and show yourself off!

PeterM said:
Its horrible when the Dwarf Puffers parade the front of the tank for attention on a no-feeding day. Always a guilt trip that is.

Little buggers, they certainly learn quickly how to get food. Put on your hunting colours and show yourself off!
[snapback]872756[/snapback]​

Ha ha ha, yes that's EXACTLY what they do!
Masters of emotional blackmail!

Our Humpback puffers do something similar too, but they sit midwater and stare intently at the waters' surface as if willing food the drop in.

Our recently acquired figure eight puffer decided it would half-puff the other day in an effort for attention... silly fishy.

Ive heard that Martha has done that once or twice too.

Oh yes, what a guilt trip. My puffers parade around the top of the tank whenever you're looking, and whenever you look they always seem to know that you're looking, they neverkeep swimming around the tank for more than two seconds before they realise. Another of their tricks is to swim around the plants looking cute and half starved to death! :lol:

Most reactions

Back