Great Barrier Reef

jeasko

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Was just having a sort out of my photos earlier and came accross my diving photos I took while in oz back in may so thought id share some with you

enjoy

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

this one was great fu to take as the anemone fish was getting really protective as you can see by how close it got
IMG_0586.jpg

not sure wht this is below but everytime i took a pic using my sea and sea strope the blue polyp retracted very quickly
IMG_0577.jpg

and as for this one below just blew me away at the size of it!
IMG_0553.jpg

and a few more

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

Bit of back scatter on this one with particals in the water column but not a bad one
IMG_0540.jpg

and this is deceiving as this is a giant clam prob 3ft ish in size!
IMG_0476.jpg

Oh forgot to mention that these are the raw pics that are un edited so some will look faded and some over exposed in places, if I ever get to run them through Photo Shop i may get them printed

I really envy you my friend as the GBR is somewhere I have not yet been but really do wanna go. The pics are brill.

PS. The second from last photo in your first set of pics, the one of which you are not sure what is is as the blue polyps kept retracting very quickly looks to me like a blue Christmas Tree worm/ feather duster (Spirobranchus porites) colony ;)

I really envy you my friend as the GBR is somewhere I have not yet been but really do wanna go. The pics are brill.

PS. The second from last photo in your first set of pics, the one of which you are not sure what is is as the blue polyps kept retracting very quickly looks to me like a blue Christmas Tree worm/ feather duster (Spirobranchus porites) colony ;)

by the name alone it sounds right as each duster was just like a mini christmas tree :good: , was great fun taking pics and watching it retract took ages for me to get it right without strobe!

If you get a chance to go take it, i was lucky enough to do 2 dives on a part of the reef then fly over in a heli on the same day, just ashame down in whitsundays the diveing trade has faded out almost, also if your a diver go to port douglas to dive the GBR as Cairns is way to commercial!

not sure that there is any tank big enough to house the GBR if there is I doubt there is a building big enough for it to go in! :lol:

not sure that there is any tank big enough to house the GBR if there is I doubt there is a building big enough for it to go in! :lol:

Lol that'd be one big tank, you can see the GBR from Space!

Those shots remind me again why I want to go there... So jealous man. My little jaunt to the carribean is peanuts next to the GBR

Wow, amazing sarcophyton growth. :hyper: It's nice to see a seascape relatively untouched by man.

The great barrier reef would actually be among my last choice for diving/snorkeling... reason being I like to save the best for last. :)

have to say its a great place to dive along with the red sea in egypt (just as good but not as big!) but what i would love to have seen was novice divers being confined to an area that nothing could be damaged or killed as saw so many loosing bouyancy and hitting the reef destroying major chunks of it :angry: , unfortunately with all the commercial dive companies they really couldnt care less which is why i would recommend port douglas as it a lot less commercial and they have a better attitude towards the GBR.

At least the powers that be over there wont allow divers/ tourists to all parts of the reef which means at least some of it will stay safe :good: .

Most reactions

Back