Greasy Film On Top Of Tank

emilythestrange

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Please help because i was really happy about setting up my 2nd tank and after 2 days of putting my Filter in the tank of clean fresh water (with nothing added just yet), a skin has appeared on top of my water surface

It is an open top tank, i had to change almost all the water when a thicker skin appeard on top of the water surface

Now it has come back but not as bad. i need to know how to stop this urgently

Just guessing, but wondering if you're doing a fishless cycle using fish food?
Because the oils and bacteria from that process could, I believe, cause something of the kind.

You need to aim your filter outlet more toward the top of the water. This should eliminate the film.

I agree with the above that its nothing to worry about and will be solved with extra surface agitation or paper towels.

However, it is my understanding that it is usually caused by overfeeding or the feeding of certain oily protein rich foods. Why it would appear in a tank which has no fish or food is a mystery.

Maybe some kind of air-bourne pollutant?

BTT

It could be some kind of contaminate that was unknowlingly introduced to the tank on your skin. It could come from many things, but the importance here is that it's probably harmless.

i had this in my breeding trap and breeding net i found its because the water is nt moving on top as i found the rest of the tank was fine.
i think its like the scum you find on top water thats been sitting there for a while its easily fixed by, like they say, the filter head facing the surface of the water and/or air bubbles making a little movement

hope it helps

I also got this film when fishless cycling my small tank with ammonia. I did have plants and substrate, so blamed them, but it could be the water or something from the algae etc. I don't get it in the big tank but there's a lot more surface agitation; also the lighting in the small tank makes more reflections on the water so it's more noticeable.

I turned off the filter for a water change, let it settle for a few minutes, then used a clean glass to skim it off, and that cleared it really well. Now there are fish and shrimps in the tank, it comes back occasionally, and I need to do this about once a fortnight, but just for cosmetic reasons - it doesn't seem to be harmful.

there is no need to do an entire/100% water change. You can use a piece of hose to create a siphon, and simply allow the siphon to suck the surface water off. This is how I remove surface bits of plant when doing doing a partial water change. (allow about 10% water to be removed)

Most reactions

Back