Gravel

These days, it is safe to use, many people do, don't like it myself, but that's personal opinion. I use swimming pool filter sand.

I bought Aquarium sand and have that in my tank. It looks good, the fish seem to like it especially my pleccos. Admittedly the tank tends to look dirty really quickly but, its much easier than gravel to clean because the dirt doesnt bury down into it, just sits on the top of the sand. I also have found that my plants are alot healthier and the because of the fine particles its great to plant in holds the plant down better. Hope this helps !
:fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish: :fish:

Actually very little sand does get sucked up when I use my cleaner any sand that does get sucked up is dirty stuff anyway. I know it does sound naughty but, when it gets slightly dirty and I cannae bear it I use a separate net to collect the dirt. :fun:

I have colored gravel and I am going to have to redo my tank because after awhile the paint started coming off! I am going for natural gravel next time.

joshua219 said:
but with aquarium sand wouldnt the gravel siphon take out quite alot of the sand too?
Probably the first couple times you do it it might but then you learn where to position it. It's actually easier because everything sits on top. Sand looks a lot better, imo.

Having said that, I use black gravel tho. One of these days I'm going to change over to sand tho.

hmm with a gravel siphon (forgive me for i do not own one) do i have to move it around the tank to suck eveyrthing up or just leave it at one position (will be getting one tomorrow)

I you want to grow plants then you will be best off with small gravel or sand. Childens's playpit sand is non-toxic and cheap but will compact over time. You can prevent this with a heater cable running underneath the sand (or gravel), this provides convection currents and allows the substrate to act as a massive biological filter. I installed one after an outbreak of Cyanobacteria.

It's down to personal opinion but I think coloured gravel looks tacky, I think to get the most pleasant effect you're better off simulating nature.

No fish will clean the gravel for you as such. Ground feeders i.e. Corys will perhaps eat leftovers but require a seperate suitable diet. Otos are algae eaters, normally feeding off plants (without harming plant) or aquarium glass. I've heard snails can help with deritus but not too sure.

Most reactions

Back