Gravel Vac - Recommendations For Cleaning Sand

Nick Sw

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi I`ve got a medium gravel vac from pets at home which works ok at syphoning the water up but won`t pick much else up (dirt , algae, sand ) The hose isn`t that long so it goes intoa bucket on a chair next to the tank I`m not sure if this has anything to do with it?

Can anyone recommend a decent Gravel vac or method or cleaning sand ?

swirl the vac around as you hover it over the sand, this usually just picks up the debris instead of sucking sand up. i find the smaller the vac the better it is, the water moves faster and has more powerful suck

swirl the vac around as you hover it over the sand, this usually just picks up the debris instead of sucking sand up. i find the smaller the vac the better it is, the water moves faster and has more powerful suck

I'm purchasing one of these things in a couple of weeks once I get my sand cycled to replace my gravel (ugh, I put in rocks from the quarries my company owns and it looks crappy because the detritus and crap gets stuck in between no matter how much I vacuum. They have a gravel kit and an extension rod to make it easier. One of the mods on another board I frequent swears by 'em.

Most reactions

Back