Gravel To Sand

D3M

Mine was the other way. I wanted to spend 30 quid on cheapish common sand she wanted some special natural stuff due to the colour being nicer and it cost me nearly 80 quid!!!!!!!

Admitedly it looks great.....

TBH im not a gravel lover so im bias but sand just shows of the contours soo much more.

D3m - tank looks great. I was going to set up my new tank with gravel, seeing as I have two large boxes of the stuff! After seeing your before/after, I'm convinced sand is the way to go! :)

Well.... job done!
Argos sand was fine (I used about half a bag on my 39cm square 40l tank)
It's still a little murky in there..... I hope it will settle a little. Is the filter ok running whilst it settles, or should the water be still?

Filter should be kept running, but it can get clogged fast during this time so you may have to rinse the media (in water taken from the tank) after a couple of days if you have foam or floss in the filter.

a lot of people on here use play sand from argos i think,because its cheap and safe

is the sand from argos ok?> its very cheap and thinking of getting it for my new 200l tank? will one bag (15kg) be enough?

I used two bags and I have a 180L Tank and to be honest its a bit deeper than it should be, especially on the right hand side so I will need to take a bit out so 2 should be fine.

Also glad to hear you went with sand and your pleased with it Helen :good:

Im gonna bite the bullet and change from gravel to sand in a few weeks time, I want a nice planted tank and have read lots off people use a first layer of
plant friendly (Mineral wise) substrate with the sand on top.
Is this advisable?? and what plant friendly substrate should I get? (online wise)

As you can see.... a bit murky still. But me one happy hellie :hyper:

The murkyness should go within 24 hours. It looks great and I love the ornament at the back :)

Thats not too deep. Allows some digging if you have plecs or loachs and allows the sand to have mounds which look cool.

It's only that I read on here somewhere about more than 1.5 inches of sand could cause a ntrite spike and kill all the fish, I dont really want to take that chance.

Most reactions

Back