Gravel To Sand - How To Switch

discus dreamer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all
I am thinking of changing my larger tank from a sand then gravel substrate to just sand. I recently switched my smaller tank to sand and to do that I moved the fish out and did other maintainance on the tank at the same time involving emptying it completely.
With the larger tank I am wondering if it would be possible to make the change over -remove plants, scoop up the gravel and add more sand, then replant - with half the water and the fish in situ, possibly doing a section of the tank at a time over several weeks. Has anyone tried this? Would it be less stressful for the fish than catching and moving them twice?
I think gravel looks OK but my tapwater has a Gh of 3 and the tank has a Gh of 10. My larger tank also has a higher Ph than my tank with sand, the breeder I want to buy discus from said it was probably the gravel that was pushing up the Ph and that sand would be better.
It is going to be a huge upheaval either way so I would value opinions on whether it would help improve my water quality and whether to do it with fish or without.
many thanks
DD

I currently have completely white sand, I find it a lot more pleasing on the eye and more natural looking.

U will struggle putting sand in with water and fish as the sand will just go everywhere and will take time to settle, the best bet is to remove the fish, lay the sand in the tank and then place a large plate on the sand and pour water directly on to the plate when filling tank up so sand does not get swished around the water.

Be careful with the discus however as the coating on them attracts the sand and untill they swim fast it will stick to them.

Definetely get the discus they are well worth it.

As for the water quality you should find it is better as the sand is a lot cleaner than gravel and will not attract algae like the gravel.

I currently have completely white sand, I find it a lot more pleasing on the eye and more natural looking.

U will struggle putting sand in with water and fish as the sand will just go everywhere and will take time to settle, the best bet is to remove the fish, lay the sand in the tank and then place a large plate on the sand and pour water directly on to the plate when filling tank up so sand does not get swished around the water.

Be careful with the discus however as the coating on them attracts the sand and untill they swim fast it will stick to them.

Definetely get the discus they are well worth it.

As for the water quality you should find it is better as the sand is a lot cleaner than gravel and will not attract algae like the gravel.

I to switched over to white sand a few days ago, and d_willi pretty much sumed it up.

thanks
I was starting to think that adding the sand with water in the tank was going to be a disaster just from the way it gets churned up so easily. I am currently running a little experiment - gravel in one ice cream tub plus water, sand in another ice cream tub plus water - i will check the Ph and Gh when the sand one is reasonably clear. If the gravel does make the water harder and more alkaline then it looks like I am going to have to empty the tank and take the gravel out. Better wait till my back is better from pulling a muscle doing a water change with bigger buckets that usual!
DD

Most reactions

Back