Gravel or sand

Kamdavid

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Debating on changing to sand , planted aquarium here. Does anyone suggest one over the other ? I just find my setup is a bit hard to clean the substrate currently.

I prefer sand. Just because it looks more natural and it’s easier to clean IMO. I have play sand in all of my tanks. It looks really good and it’s pretty cheap. :)

Play sand as in go to Home Depot , buy the playboy sand , and use that ?
Yes...

Play sand from Home Depot or Lowe’s is perfect for tanks. It’s safe for kids to eat, which means it has to be safe for fish.

Just make sure you wash it really good before putting it in your tank. It’s pretty cheap if you think about it. 50lb of sand for $5. That’s a killer deal. (Opposed to other aquarium sand 10b = $20+)

I use black diamond blasting sand and have used play sand in the past. Both are inexpensive and inert, blasting sand is easier to rinse

I use black diamond blasting sand and have used play sand in the past. Both are inexpensive and inert, blasting sand is easier to rinse
BDBS is known to have sharp particles in it...

If the OP was planning on having cories or plecos, this would not work. ;)

I'm a fan of pool filter sand. The particle size is better to promote permeability. I find that often play sand is just too fine. I changed to PFS in my 60g planted tank (see avitar) over 8 years ago. With Cory's and Malaysian Trumpet Snails I have never needed to clean or disturb the 4" layer of sand in any way. I use an Eco 396 submersible pump for water changes.
I know that others swear by play sand and I tried to use it for another tank but when I bucket cleaned the 'fines' (dust like particles of sand) were so great, I gave it up. So play sand, or at least some play sands, contain very fine sand making them difficult to 'clean'.
20191120_144342 (1) - w.jpg

I know that others swear by play sand and I tried to use it for another tank but when I bucket cleaned the 'fines' (dust like particles of sand) were so great, I gave it up. So play sand, or at least some play sands, contain very fine sand making them difficult to 'clean'.
First off, pool filter sand is way more course than play sand is. (This can be bad for cories or plecos)

Secondly, you probably didn’t fill the tank up with tap water and then drain it did you? You must do this to remove all of the fine particles. Then you can fill it back up with regular tank water, no problem.

We do have a flash Pleco.
I currently use fluval stratum under the gravel. But cleaning it is a hassle.

We do have a flash Pleco.
I currently use fluval stratum under the gravel. But cleaning it is a hassle.
Yes, I can imagine that...

I strongly suggest looking into play sand. :)

First off, pool filter sand is way more course than play sand is. (This can be bad for cories or plecos)

Secondly, you probably didn’t fill the tank up with tap water and then drain it did you? You must do this to remove all of the fine particles. Then you can fill it back up with regular tank water, no problem.

Well first grasshopper, the grain size of pool filter sand may be ever so slightly more course than fine play sand, but offers nearly perfect permeability for water penetration/circulation (which is why/how it works in the pool filter). My cories have been living large for over 8 years! (btw, there are those that have cories on gravel).

And second, I was cleaning the sand in a 5g bucket outdoors with the hose as I always do. :)

To the original question Kamdavid...what fish do you intend or want in this tank? Substrate fish such as a group of Corydoras, or a group of loaches, will restrict you on the substrate options, so it is best to decide this.

Second, the Fluval Stratum is an issue. Fish that dig may have issues with this, so again depending upon the intended fish, this may or may not work.

Generally speaking, sand is a better substrate than gravel. However, if you want tyo replicate a Central American or Mexican stream, gravel up to pea grain size is authentic and very workable. But you would not have loaches or cories in such a tank. But in general terms, sand does provide an excellent plant substrate, it does look natural (aside from the afore-mentioned, almost every stream and creed in Tropical areas has a sand substrate, but never use white), and it visually makes the tank space seem larger. Not all sand is suitable, this again depends upon the intended fish.

Most reactions

Back