Gravel Or Sand

Nyleveia

Reaction score
So I just got my tank today and it's going to be an ongoing project. I'm looking to go tropical, heater, filters the lot. What's best to put at the base, gravel / stone / sand. My friend has the sandy type stuff which looks awesome. Does this really matter? Pictures are below minus the fingerprints!

2QXOUsF.jpg

RYzPas7.jpg

Personal preference and also dependent on what fish you want to keep.

I have sand for my bottom dwellers but I would go back to black gravel if I could as I like the look and my fish look washed out over sand, also seems to make them skittish because it's so bright and reflects light.

SmexxyNick said:
Once you go sand you never go back lol

Trust me some people do, as already said its all down to personal preference. Both have their own pros and cons. 

I don't ever see myself using sand again. Like everything in this hobby go with what you like because after all its you who will be looking at the tank every day. 
good.gif

Have fun 

Suppose I could try half and half or maybe a small section of the tank having sand. will mess with it before I add the things into the tank. Thanks guys

I used sand, gravel or both. I try not attach myself to only one type.
What I use really depends on what I want to do. But its possible to have success with both.
I would say that sand is cost effective compared to most types of gravel.
As it was said both have their pros and cons knowing that helps to know which ones suits you better.

Brilly is right.  It depends on what you want to keep.  Some fish need sand and for them you should have it.  Otherwise, gravel is easier to deal with, in terms of cleaning and, in general, for planting...

Personally, I prefer sand.

Loads of people don't want to turn to sand because they think it's expensive. I use Argos play sand though and I've never had a problem!

A couple of rinses and it's fine. You can't complain at £2.99 for 15kg either!

Okay, besides it being a personal preference, and some bottom dwellers doing better on sand, I would like to sa a couple of things.
Yes, I prefer sand. No I have not found it harder to clean. Yes it does look natural, but so does pea gravel. Fish looking washed out works the opposite way, they also go dusky on darker substrates. Fish being skittish because of it reflecting too much light means you lighting is too high and/or not enough plants shading/hiding spots. As for gravel being easier to grow plants in, I have found just the opposite.

Shelster said:
You can buy black sand, it's great :)
Oh yeah, plants look greener, some fish like albino cories really stand out.
But price wise...ouch.

Tuxyu3 said:
Personal preference and also dependent on what fish you want to keep.

I have sand for my bottom dwellers but I would go back to black gravel if I could as I like the look and my fish look washed out over sand, also seems to make them skittish because it's so bright and reflects light.

Black sand. ;) 

frapadoodle said:
You can buy black sand, it's great
smile.png
Oh yeah, plants look greener, some fish like albino cories really stand out.
But price wise...ouch.

No more expensive in my experience than gravel.

This 'medium' size cost me £19.99
image-2_zps51f87807.jpg

But you can find mediums for £15 in MA I think.

i used pool filter sand in my tank, if i ever use gravel again it will be for aquascaping purposes only :)

Most reactions

Back