Gravel Or Sand?

Im not sure how accurate it is, but I used the calculator at the top of the page.

Thats tells me my tank is 20 litres smaller than i believe it to be.. So, either mine, or that, is off.. *goes off in search of research*

But I would recommend 7.5 - 10kg of sand, should be plenty.

I've heard that there is a difference between the manufacturers' given tank size (which I assume is calculated by filling the completely empty tank to the top with water), and actual water capacity (after the substrate, decoration, and equipment goes in) - perhaps this accounts for the small discrepency in tank volume?

Ben.

There is no kg-ltr number that i am aware of. The sand layer should be around 1 inch deep going up to 1.5 inch if you are planting. Anyhting more and you run the risk of having harmful gasses building up.

This Guide will tell you all you need to know :)

There is no kg-ltr number that i am aware of. The sand layer should be around 1 inch deep going up to 1.5 inch if you are planting. Anyhting more and you run the risk of having harmful gasses building up.

This Guide will tell you all you need to know :)
Thank you Vidster!! :good: That was veryy helpful!

I told the guy at the pet store for sand and he asked what my setup was going to be and recommended a new gravel/sand that they just got in.
I am using it and I love it so far. It is called Eco-complete, it has fine sand as well as medium and gravel chunks.

It works awesome for my plants, the root structures realy grab on to the fine sand and they stay well rooted, even my hair grass is spreading like crazy!

Check it out, here is a link: Eco-Complete Substrate

I told the guy at the pet store for sand and he asked what my setup was going to be and recommended a new gravel/sand that they just got in.
I am using it and I love it so far. It is called Eco-complete, it has fine sand as well as medium and gravel chunks.

It works awesome for my plants, the root structures realy grab on to the fine sand and they stay well rooted, even my hair grass is spreading like crazy!

Your link goes directly to Cichlid sand/gravel. From the info i have read on the net Cichlids thrive in a PH of 8+ I can't see any details about it on the site but my guess (and this is only a guess), is that this has some form of salt water material in it (crushed coral for example). If that is the case you would need to be wary of your PH levels rising.

Having said that. My own substrate is pure crushed coral and my PH has settled at 7.6PH so pretty decent :)

Your link goes directly to Cichlid sand/gravel. From the info i have read on the net Cichlids thrive in a PH of 8+ I can't see any details about it on the site but my guess (and this is only a guess), is that this has some form of salt water material in it (crushed coral for example). If that is the case you would need to be wary of your PH levels rising.

Having said that. My own substrate is pure crushed coral and my PH has settled at 7.6PH so pretty decent :)

Yeah I was in a rush to post and just linked to the first google link that came up.

I have the black plant substrate and it works great, I have already had my amazon sword sprout an arm across the tank and plant a new sword, also flowered. I made the mistake of getting a water sprite and then adding fertilizer, I have to trim it every other day it grows so fast, thankfully I am setting up another tank and wont have to buy plants for that one due to the fact that mine are spreading so fast!

Gravel or Sand?

Well i have made the decision, right or wrong, to go with play sand. I bought a 15k bag from argos for £2.99 & have give it a good wash in a bucket ready for the arrival of my new tank.

Oh btw, 15k sounds light but gets a bit heavy if you are carying it for a mile or so.

Would this sand work: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgf/R-202007298/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

It's very cheap!

i think a mix of pebbles
and three different grades
of gravel and sand work well
i like to use sharp sand as well
as it is river sand and look like
a real river bed

sharp sand is natural river sand

not the yellow builders sand that you see

This is probably a really dumb question, but is sharp sand 'sharp'? I mean does it have sharp edges or anything?

Most reactions

Back