Gravel Hassel.

saraya

Reaction score
Hello. You guys have corrupted me, and I bought a 4ft tank yesterday. My 2ft isn't over stocked or anything, I just wanted an upgrade. So I have all the time in the world to do a fishless cycle and get things right.
I washed the gravel, but apparently not enough. It went very cloudy. I've got up this morning and it looks really clear, but I know the dust particles are in there!
Should I gravel vac like mad with loads of water changes?
Will the filter remove dust particles?
Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I wouldn't "gravel vac like mad and do loads of water changes".

if you are doing a fishless cycle then you are gonna have to do periodic water changes as you go anyway.

Just gravel vac at these times.

Like you say, you are in no rush so no need to overdo the changes and slow down the cycle.

steve

Many thanks for your reply. Would you advise waiting to add ammonia until the problem is sorted? I was going to add it straight away thinking it shouldn't make a difference, but decided to ask first! Thanks again.

You can add ammonia but every time you do a gravel vac it will take water out of the tank and thus lower ammonia levels, so if you are trying to do a fishless cycle you will have to add more ammonia everytime you do a gravel vac. Most of the dust will be in the filter sponge though so alternativly you could just rinse the filter sponge out.

Thanks. It's great having knowledgable people out there, as I have no faith in my local fish shops. When I first started out I was sold fish under a name that didn't exist, and assumed they knew what they were talking about. They even once advised me to buy a fluval 3 for a 2 foot tank, and it didn't even fit!
I've relied on books in the past, but you guys are definatley the best place to go. x

Most reactions

Back