Gravel and Soil

rebeledd

Reaction score
I’m in the process of upgrading my aquarium to a 150l tank, and am starting from scratch with the base. I have Marina black gravel, and ahead of laying it, I’m wondering whether I should put some form of soil / substrate which has nutrients below the gravel in locations where I’m putting plants. Is this recommended, as I want to give the plants the best chance of staying healthy, and I know gravel doesn’t contain any nutrients. Thank you! Thank you!

I wouldn't. The 2 will mix and make a mess as gravel is heavier than soil and will sink though it. All my tanks have river sand which has no nutrients. Between the root tabs (I use seachem flourish but there are others that are good) and what the fish produce my plants thrive in all my tanks.

I wouldn't. The 2 will mix and make a mess as gravel is heavier than soil and will sink though it. All my tanks have river sand which has no nutrients. Between the root tabs (I use seachem flourish but there are others that are good) and what the fish produce my plants thrive in all my tanks.
Thank you, that does make complete sense! Will take a look at those tabs, sound like a good option!

I agree with seangee. Soil creates serious problems like ammonia. And in the long haul it does not really benefit plants anyway. The only benefit there can be with soil is the initial production of CO2 from the decomposition of the organics in the soil, something that takes a few weeks to build up with inert substrates like sand or fine gravel. But that is a minimal benefit, considering the ammonia issue and other problems going forward.

As you are still in the beginning stage, sand might be a better choice than gravel, if you intend any substrate fish.

I agree with seangee. Soil creates serious problems like ammonia. And in the long haul it does not really benefit plants anyway. The only benefit there can be with soil is the initial production of CO2 from the decomposition of the organics in the soil, something that takes a few weeks to build up with inert substrates like sand or fine gravel. But that is a minimal benefit, considering the ammonia issue and other problems going forward.
Thank you! Really good to know!

I agree with the others, I have gravel in 3 of my tanks and use plant tabs for my rooted plants. The soils seem to wear out in a year or two and if you try and replace it you have a mess. Save yourself the stress and hassle and just use gravel.

Thank you!!
I agree with the others, I have gravel in 3 of my tanks and use plant tabs for my rooted plants. The soils seem to wear out in a year or two and if you try and replace it you have a mess. Save yourself the stress and hassle and just use gravel.

Most reactions

Back