Graphics Cards

How much you paying for them? i recently bought a XFX Geforce 7800GT 256mb & it runs every game in full resolution no problem!!

I'm ATI through and through...

I'm still running a 9600 pro with no problems. Playing the latest games is starting to need some lower settings... but I'd get the older 9800 and save a bit of money.

To tell the truth, i would have no clue which is the best, I’m just surprised that ATI actually got around to launching a 512mb card to counter the 7xxx Series of Geforce Cards. When Crossfire was delayed by....however many months it actually was (i lost count: P ) i thought it was the beginning of the end for them.

I think the Radeon will be best, always good graphics cards! :thumbs:

Why are you getting PCI cards? Does you motherboard not have a AGP slot?

Theyre PCIE - new PCI dedicated to graphics only. The problem withAGP is that even though you gained massive speed over PCI for graphics you lost the ability to piggyback your cards... remember PCI expansion cards like the Matrox M3D for the Matrox Mystique / Millenium? Or the Diamons Moster or VooDoo cards that you could run two of and get allegedly double performance? With PCIe you can do that again, and have a yet faster graphics card.

As for the cards, I would personally go for the second of the bunch, I prefer the chipset on that beauty. However, I would go for an nVidia. Their drivers are better and nVidia has been leading the field for in nearly every aspect. ATI have a tendency to build incredibly powerful cards and architechtures on paper but then lose the potential by coding the drivers really badly. This has admittedly improved, but for me its nVidia all the way. Ive had bad performance issues with older Radeons in teh past, and also compatibility problems, but ive never had any such problems with nVidia cards and ive used many more nVidias than I have ATIs.

That said, both of those cards are lovely.

Mantis: lovely choice of card :D Im jealous :p Want to swap for a GeForce 6800? ;)

I'm getting a ATI Radeon X1600PRO 512MB GDDR2 AGP myself. I'm kind of partial to ATI and I'm not too hot for PCI-e yet. It's still in that "too new" phase to really be worth the costs, besides which the AGP cards are going to start getting cheaper now as they're slowly phased out and there aren't that many games which can take full advantage of the current AGP crop let alone PCI-e. So while the PCI-e might have more, it's more you won't be able to fully utilize.

I used to have nVidia and they did/do good but since my last three or so cards, I've been more hooked on ATI. Maybe once PCI-e is more affordable, I'll be going that route and give nVidia a try again. :)

I fully agree with that AGP philosophy. I wasnt even aware of any problems with the AGP standard when it comes to holding back graphics card development and lo and behold weve got PCIe. The reason for the AGP being brought into existence was because PCI was too limited (too multi-purpose) for really advanced graphics hardware. AGP is custom designed for advanced graphics and the only architechture limiting factors that im aware of are memory speed and cache buffering, and this has always been a problem (read: memory bottleneck problem).

Most reactions

Back